Fit or leave out bevel stop spring G54

MartinRestorer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If someone could advise me, firstly on fitting the G53 bevel stop to my new cases. Will I have to heat the cases again for this small pin. Also the bevel return spring G54, it has been advised that it is not necessary at all. So should I leave out before closeing the cases.

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'day Mate,
The bevel stop should be there. It creates a stop or indexing point for setting the bevel therefore indexing the camplate, change shaft etc. The spring can be left out, I have never found a use for it probably because its not strong enough to snap the bevel back against the stop.

Phelps.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
G'day Mate,
The bevel stop should be there. It creates a stop or indexing point for setting the bevel therefore indexing the camplate, change shaft etc. The spring can be left out, I have never found a use for it probably because its not strong enough to snap the bevel back against the stop.

Phelps.

The last time I installed my gearbox, I relied on it (to be honest, without thinking about it) and had to go back in after having the drive side completely assembled. Shame on me mostly, but it worked well the other times!

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
hi ,
whilst the cases are appart why not fit the spring,which ensures that the bevel remains in position in the cases, and holds it in the correct position in relation to the cam plate. If your cases were how ever still to gether I would tell you to foreget it, as the spring has no effect on the gear change at all , it was one off thoes nice little design features of the vincent.
I once knew a chap in the club who did a complete engine drop to change that spring in an attempt to improve his gear change. What a waste of time, it did how ever keep him happy.
regards stumpy.

johncrispin

VOC Member
On my recent rebuild, i decided not to use the little spring, as Stumpy said a nice touch for the ease of assembly of the gear cluster/camplate assybut unnecessary. I use an elastic band on the gear indicator, lightly assembled, back to a convenient hook to keep the bevel against the stop.

MartinRestorer

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I thank you all for the advice, so it seems that I can use the spring for ease of assembley but it has no further requirement. The bevel stop I definatly need. So should I be required to heat the cases [again]to fit this part?

clevtrev

VOC Member
I thank you all for the advice, so it seems that I can use the spring for ease of assembley but it has no further requirement. The bevel stop I definatly need. So should I be required to heat the cases [again]to fit this part?
No just press it in, you might have to make one that`s a good fit for pressing. And while you`re at it, make sure it sits below the level of the mating face. File the top off if necessary, if only for future operations.