First start up.

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As far as I know, Grade 8 is top of chain for SAE, but I've gone up a size and that seems to be holding.
Can't say the same for the knee, it's not holding!

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
There is a lot to be said for a cotter pin kick-start joint perhaps a few Vincent design aspects are wanting however I dont suppose any designer expected discussions like this 70 odd years on.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
Then there's this gizmo: https://kickmagicstarter.com/
I saw this in operation recently. It seemed to work. There was no mention of mounting it on a Vincent. Not that I would want one on mine.

I will add that despite being rather short and riding a rather tall D Rapide, I don't seem to have much of a problem. When the bike is cold, I do start it on the D stand but never when even somewhat warm. My bike has a C-style front stand but I don't start it on that. I just take the bike off whichever stand it is on, swing my leg over and start with my left foot on the ground. I don't find the need to come off the seat. It does seem to help to make sure the engine is rotated to the compression stroke on the front cylinder. Then, it's a matter of putting some pressure on the lifter and easing the kickstart until the lifter lever moves in readily. Once in, I just give it a good thrust, letting the lever go at about the same time. One such kick is usually enough, unless someone I really want to impress is watching.

erik

VOC Member

Attachments

• 262.JPG
    262.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 44