First start up.

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Regarding Coffman starters you may like the modern video below, starting a Grumman Wildcat with some of the last remaining cartridges. Well, I´d love to play explosives but in harsh reality you will have big troubles today to find usable cartridges , no longer in production. Apart from that I´d get a visit from the Gestapo for possession of explosives unauthorized.

Vic
Youtube Wildcat
Wildcat start

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Regarding Coffman starters you may like the modern video below, starting a Grumman Wildcat with some of the last remaining cartridges. Well, I´d love to play explosives but in harsh reality you will have big troubles today to find usable cartridges , no longer in production. Apart from that I´d get a visit from the Gestapo for possession of explosives unauthorized.

Vic
Youtube Wildcat
Wildcat start

You biggest problem would be finding the new components to reload. Propellant is easy to come by, order that over the internet and have it delivered, there are 10 choices for shotgun alone on the Brownells page. The video suggested they were 4 gauge, I couldn't find any crimping dies that size, 10 gauge was the largest. The primers are electric not percussion, but if you're making your own that really isn't a problem.
Just tell people it backfires a lot before it starts.
Steven

greg brillus

VOC Member
The Kofmann type cartridge starter would quickly destroy your nicely aligned flywheels after about 2 starts, the action once fired is extremely aggressive. I have found the best way to start a twin on either the rear or a Hills, "D" type stand is from the right side of the bike using your right leg. Works well and does not put all your weight on the machine........It's nice to be different.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Greg's starting technique would not work for those of us who are short in the leg, and possibly past our first youthful prime.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The Kofmann type cartridge starter would quickly destroy your nicely aligned flywheels after about 2 starts, the action once fired is extremely aggressive. I have found the best way to start a twin on either the rear or a Hills, "D" type stand is from the right side of the bike using your right leg. Works well and does not put all your weight on the machine........It's nice to be different.
I do it your way, If I have trouble, As I have said , I had a real bad one the other day, Put my left knee on the saddle, To put my full 200lb down on it to spin it as fast as I could, My Hips and Knees , Are not as good as a few years ago !. Cheers Bill.

erik

VOC Member
i started my Rapide last evening as recommendet.With the bike on ist wheels and Standing over the bike I tried it several times to get pratice into the technic. And !!!! it works.Thank you for the lesson.Erik

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
i started my Rapide last evening as recommendet.With the bike on ist wheels and Standing over the bike I tried it several times to get pratice into the technic. And !!!! it works.Thank you for the lesson.Erik
We are never too old to learn. When I was a school teacher I learned something every day .... from the children.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Eric, If you weigh 242 lb, You must have frightened it in to starting :) .
I remember Dear old Bill Telfer, West London Section, A Vin' Dare not start when he had a go !.
Mind the Extra Power of the Twin !, Have Fun, Bill.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
A Vincent twin at 8 to 1, 9 to 1 or even 10.5 to one is a pretty easy engine to roll over.
It seems that the design of the kickstart mechanism is one the many things that one or both Phil's got right.
Heavy flywheels, compression release and a kicker that is located right where it should be ( for me, anyway) all help.
The 1360 with 10.8 to 1 Cr, very high lift cams and big fat squish bands is a different animal.
I'm thinking of donning a rock filled Trapper Nelson for that one!
Attached photo is a Grade 8 3/8" pivot bolt from the kickstart for that bike. I wonder what the cartilage in my right knee looks like?

Glen
IMG_20180530_100852.jpg