First start up.

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hang on a minute, just got to get my abacus out, no I count only 5 stands, the two front stands are for use solely in an emergency if I need to get the front wheel out whilst out on the road, it has happened, the rear stand is there for the same reason except it is for the rear wheel, and it secures the rear mudguard flap, the Dave Hills stand is there because it is bloody marvellous, and the Virago stand is there because I think it is the best side stand out there, the D stand is on my Comet, and the front bottom mudguard stay also can be used as a front stand, never had to try that one though, looks a bit flimsy to me,

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
It looked like an Alien was inside your engine, When you were trying to start it !.
That's not OUR Derick Sayer, South London is it ?, I know my eyes are bad, And I have not seen him since 2011,
I know we do change as we get older. Cheers Bill.
No Bill,
Derek was there last week when we had the first go, other bloke was my mate Dave.

deejay499

VOC Member
Stand astride it with feet on both footrests, with the Kickstarter up as high as it will go and as Robert says, kick it using the valve lifter. Looks like the kickstarter is catching on the exhaust pipe or something to stop it returning. Sounds nice.

erik

VOC Member
I started my rapide for the first time on last Friday. The starting procedure is not familiar to me. When i kick down the first cylinder Comes into compression stroke and i use the decompressor.when i now try to kick it into life i stop when the second cylinder Comes in compression stroke.should i try to kick when second cylinder Comes into compression stroke ? I have 8,5: 1 carillo pistons fitted.all new valves and Pistons and very good compression!regards Erik

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I started my rapide for the first time on last Friday. The starting procedure is not familiar to me. When i kick down the first cylinder Comes into compression stroke and i use the decompressor.when i now try to kick it into life i stop when the second cylinder Comes in compression stroke.should i try to kick when second cylinder Comes into compression stroke ? I have 8,5: 1 carillo pistons fitted.all new valves and Pistons and very good compression!regards Erik
Have a few goes at kicking it with the Valve lifter in to the handle bars, It should not be too hard if the cables are adjusted right, Then half way down, just drop the lever, It does not matter where the flywheels are, This way there is not too much strain on you or the kickstart, Good Luck, Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Erik,
Do not try to find compression. Pull in the valve lever as Bill says in his post and swing down on the kickstart releasing the valve lifter near the bottom of the swing. You might have to practice a few times to get the point where you release the valve lifter correct. It is easy, even I can do it. ;)

timetraveller

VOC Member
Erik, if you were a 200 kg weight lifter or high jumper then you might have the weight and thighs to do what you are trying to do. But even if you succeeded then you will still be putting an unnecessary strain on the various parts of the kick start mechanism.. Your technique might work on a Comet but it is not a good system on a twin. The two previous postings, and some of the earlier ones, tell you how to make it easier. Get on the bike, stand on the left hand footrest so you are well above the bike and then with the valve lifter pulled fully in give it a good push down and then let go of the valve lifter lever half way, plus, down. It is a trick that you will learn after only a few attempts. Once you have mastered it you will find it easy to kick the engine over. Whether it starts is up to getting the carb and ignition right.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Erik, if you were a 200 kg weight lifter or high jumper then you might have the weight and thighs to do what you are trying to do. But even if you succeeded then you will still be putting an unnecessary strain on the various parts of the kick start mechanism.. Your technique might work on a Comet but it is not a good system on a twin. The two previous postings, and some of the earlier ones, tell you how to make it easier. Get on the bike, stand on the left hand footrest so you are well above the bike and then with the valve lifter pulled fully in give it a good push down and then let go of the valve lifter lever half way, plus, down. It is a trick that you will learn after only a few attempts. Once you have mastered it you will find it easy to kick the engine over. Whether it starts is up to getting the carb and ignition right.
Well I would say that is good advice and bad advice all rolled into one, it certainly served me well when I was 16 year old 10 stone weakling, but latterly we are told it is a very good way of bending your rear stand or breaking the wheel spindle forks on the rear frame, that is if you still using the standard rear stand, if you using a Dave Hills stand, then that method should be fine.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Stand astride it with feet on both footrests, with the Kickstarter up as high as it will go and as Robert says, kick it using the valve lifter. Looks like the kickstarter is catching on the exhaust pipe or something to stop it returning. Sounds nice.

You're right Dave, the kickstarter is catching, was much worse the previous week but on Derek's advice I got it tweaked on a hydraulic press but needs to go a fraction more.
Cheers
Dave

erik

VOC Member
Thank you for your advice! I never had a Problem kicking my commando or comet into live with the bikes on their wheels, not using any stand.I am 185 cm tall and having 110kg.I agree 100 % having as less Strees on the kickstart mechanism.Erik