First start up.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Bill,
They`re 30mm Mikuni`s from Motocarb, was going for 28mm ones but wanted the UFO inserts they do & the 30mm ones are the smallest they fit.
Would never think you were being picky mate, you don`t come aross that way,& appreciate any and all advice given.
Must admit I felt more comfortable astride the bike & really thought it was going to start when it fired early on.
Had the bike on the wood to stop it sinking into the gravel & like the idea of holding it on the brake but I haven`t got it plumbed it yet.
I shall pay extra attention to everyones starting techniques when we`re at Hever.
Might have to carry a roller starter & big battery in a topbox if I don`t get the knack.
Cheers
Dave
What's a ufo bill

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Your video brought back the wonderful memory of the first time I kicked my built from scratch Rapide. It is absolute magic when it all comes together and it snarls into life for the first time. :D
Thanks for sharing your magic moment.
As others have said you don't need to do all that fiddling about finding compression on the correct cylinder and easing it past compression with the valve lifter before kicking. I suggest it is more of a swing down with your body weight behind it before releasing the valve lifter towards the end of the swing. Other tips are well synchronised carbs and use little or virtually no throttle opening.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Your video brought back the wonderful memory of the first time I kicked my built from scratch Rapide. It is absolute magic when it all comes together and it snarls into life for the first time. :D
Thanks for sharing your magic moment.
As others have said you don't need to do all that fiddling about finding compression on the correct cylinder and easing it past compression with the valve lifter before kicking. I suggest it is more of a swing down with your body weight behind it before releasing the valve lifter towards the end of the swing. Other tips are well synchronised carbs and use little or virtually no throttle opening.
Cheers Ed,
Just glad it ran, not worried about making an arse of myself had a lifetime of practice.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Dave, Been up all night trying to think what it was !.
Another bit of Magic.
In a Video of mine, That I would never show, I made a twit of myself, A few years ago, And I have been starting these Beasts for over 50 years.
It was an engine that had been on the floor since the 60 s, With the covers off, But after turning the engine over many times on the bench, I thought it would be a Runner !. Filled the cylinders etc with WD40 then engine Oil, So did not think it would start for a bit, Oil every where !!.
But it was firing and Kicking back, Really Bad !!!!, But would I give up ?, Not me, What a Plonker .
Night time came, And They dragged me off it, Had to go in for dinner.
Soon as my head hit the pillow, I thought, I took the end cap off the mag' just before trying to start it, And put it back 180 degrees wrong.
Next morning I had to wrap my foot with Gaffer Tape, Before I put my boot on, It was Black and blue !!,
Oh the Pain !. But we got it going, So it was all worth it.
Have Lots of Fun with Yours, Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
As Norman, Timetraveller said pull in the decompressor, kick and with the flywheels spinning nicely release the decompressor at the mid point, or just past, of the kickstand stroke.

Before my diabetes was diagnosed my weight dropped to below 9 and half stone, but I could still start my Rapide. I was too weak, or I suppose lacked the energy to get it on the rear stand after a ride.

I have always been a little perplexed by the rear stand on the post war B+C bikes, the shear genius of the two Phill's got so much right whilst also being innovative, but the rear stand, well where do you start, although still in situ I stopped using mine years ago, especially when Craven panniers became pretty much a permanent fitment.
I briefly had the use of the club A single Nigel last year, and it brought all those horrors back to me, bloody backbreaking, and when you look at the stand that Dave Hills supplies, it is so simple and effective, as long as you get the correct length stand legs in the first place. I just wonder why it was never fitted as standard in the first place, I cannot imagine that the design of the DH stand was beyond their combined capabilities. If you still haven't got one fitted, get one, it changes your life and saves your vertebrae.

Last edited:

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I have always been a little perplexed by the rear stand on the post war B+C bikes, the shear genius of the two Phill's got so much right whilst also being innovative, but the rear stand, well where do you start, although still in situ I stopped using mine years ago, especially when Craven panniers became pretty much a permanent fitment.
I briefly had the use of the club A single Nigel last year, and it brought all those horrors back to me, bloody backbreaking, and when you look at the stand that Dave Hills supplies, it is so simple and effective, as long as you get the correct length stand legs in the first place. I just wonder why it was never fitted as standard in the first place, I cannot imagine that the design of the DH stand was beyond their combined capabilities. If you still haven't got one fitted, get one, it changes your life and saves your vertebrae.

Peter,
I have to admit I've only fitted the rear stand to stop the mudguard flapping around & think Dave Hills stand is brilliant.
Not sure what other bikes of the same era would have had as stands, maybe they'd lost interest by the time they got to the back of the bike.
Cheers
Dave

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I would add, even though I could start the Vincent with different footwear on, I always put a motorcycle boot on on my right foot for better sole, ankle, toe and shin protection.

Amongst the many bits of me that are past their sell by date, my right ankle is knackered so most of the time I try to wear something that has a bit of support, if only I could get a full body suit !
Cheers
Dave