First start up.

Dave61

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thought this would amuse the more experienced Vincent owners.
Had a failed go at starting our Vinnie last week, Derek Sayer was press ganged into moral support but I`d made some errors with the carb cables & more importantly had timed up 5 degrees ATDC not BTDC, I`d got confused by Francois instructions.
Having rechecked everything had another go this Sunday, it hasn`t run for 39 to 40 years & having put a lot of time & effort in would have liked to be the first one to start it, but if you watch the video you`ll see my lifelong friend steal my thunder & what`s worse it was with his first kick.
Don`t think there is any swearing but apologise in advance if there is, was impressed with how steady my Wife was filming, except for right at the end.
Just need to get it finished & practice starting so I don`t embarrass myself by having a heartattack.
In my defence the last thing I kickstarted was a 250 Honda Superdream in 1980, really thought I had the start procedure in my head but the reality is quite different.
Didn`t want to go down the electric start route,mainly because of the sprag clutch, but if I can`t acquire the "Knack" might be my only option or could add a sidecar for my mate Dave to be my starter.
Cheers
Dave

Vincent Rapide

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I see from the video that you haven't quite grasped the basic premise and that your mate has. This of course is the fact that basically this is a motorcycle, and not a woman, and you really have to kick the bl****y thing!

:);):);):);):);):);):);):D:D:D:D:D

And now for the fine print.

This is the polite version and intended purely for demonstrating the force required to turn over a Vincent twin and in no way is intended to be disparaging to people of any gender or sexual persuasion or in any way intended to incite violence to any other human being or living creature and any views expressed here in are purely intended for the amusement of the viewing audience and in now way reflect the views of the writer or the hosting body of this esteemed publication.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
I see from the video that you haven't quite grasped the basic premise and that your mate has. This of course is the fact that basically this is a motorcycle, and not a woman, and you really have to kick the bl****y thing!

:);):);):);):);):);):);):D:D:D:D:D

And now for the fine print.

This is the polite version and intended purely for demonstrating the force required to turn over a Vincent twin and in no way is intended to be disparaging to people of any gender or sexual persuasion or in any way intended to incite violence to any other human being or living creature and any views expressed here in are purely intended for the amusement of the viewing audience and in now way reflect the views of the writer or the hosting body of this esteemed publication.
You`re quite right Robert,
It probably also helps that he`s got an old Harley & is a bit heavier than me( I`m being nice saying "a bit").
Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

timetraveller

VOC Member
OK Dave, good to see the progress. Some suggestions re. starting. First, you have the excellent Dave Hills centre stand. This made strong enough to take the full weight of the rider and bike for starting so you will find it much easier if you stand on the left hand foot rest astride the bike when kicking. This way you are higher and can get more weight down on the kick starter. Secondly, you need to get the knack of letting go of the valve lifter about half to two thirds of the way down the kick starter swing. This way the inertia of the flywheels is helping to overcome the compression. DO NOT continue to try to kick the bike over against compression. It is putting an unnecessary strain on the bike parts as well as your poor defenceless male body. If it kicks back you will damage parts you may still be hoping to use. Otherwise it looks and sound good.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
OK Dave, good to see the progress. Some suggestions re. starting. First, you have the excellent Dave Hills centre stand. This made strong enough to take the full weight of the rider and bike for starting so you will find it much easier if you stand on the left hand foot rest astride the bike when kicking. This way you are higher and can get more weight down on the kick starter. Secondly, you need to get the knack of letting go of the valve lifter about half to two thirds of the way down the kick starter swing. This way the inertia of the flywheels is helping to overcome the compression. DO NOT continue to try to kick the bike over against compression. It is putting an unnecessary strain on the bike parts as well as your poor defenceless male body. If it kicks back you will damage parts you may still be hoping to use. Otherwise it looks and sound good.

Thanks for the advice Norman,
You are quite correct that I`m attached to most of my "Bits" & don`t want to damage them, though would probably be more upset at damaging the bike than myself.
Looking back at it, it does look like brute force & ignorance rather than the finesse i had in mind & I`m never going to live it down that my mate started it with ease.
Cheers
Dave

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well Done Dave and friend, Very Brave to show the Video, I think I would have lost it !.
It runs better than mine !.
Nice looking Carb's, What are they ?.
I hope you don't think I am picking holes, As Norman says, You are going to hurt yourself and break the Kickstart.
It makes a big difference if the saddle is on, Something to steady yourself with.
I had a Bastard Bike to start a little while ago, And I put my left knee on the saddle, So that I put my full weight on the kicker.
The Bike is a natt's too high, The wood on top of the gravel, That other inch makes it harder.
I put a finger on the front brake, Worried it would roll forward !.
But your getting there, Good Luck. Bill.

Last edited:

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Well Done Dave and friend, Very Brave to show the Video, I think I would have lost it !.
It runs better than mine !.
Nice looking Carb's, What are they ?.
I hope you don't think I am picking holes, As Norman says, You are going to hurt yourself and break the Kickstart.
It makes a big difference if the saddle is on, Something to steady yourself with.
I had a Bastard Bike to start a little while ago, And I put my left knee on the saddle, So that I put my full weight on the kicker.
The Bike is a natt's too high, The wood on top of the gravel, That other inch makes it harder.
I put a finger on the front break, Worried it would roll forward !.
But your getting there, Good Luck. Bill.

Thanks Bill,
They`re 30mm Mikuni`s from Motocarb, was going for 28mm ones but wanted the UFO inserts they do & the 30mm ones are the smallest they fit.
Would never think you were being picky mate, you don`t come aross that way,& appreciate any and all advice given.
Must admit I felt more comfortable astride the bike & really thought it was going to start when it fired early on.
Had the bike on the wood to stop it sinking into the gravel & like the idea of holding it on the brake but I haven`t got it plumbed it yet.
I shall pay extra attention to everyones starting techniques when we`re at Hever.
Might have to carry a roller starter & big battery in a topbox if I don`t get the knack.
Cheers
Dave

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As Norman, Timetraveller said pull in the decompressor, kick and with the flywheels spinning nicely release the decompressor at the mid point, or just past, of the kickstand stroke.

Before my diabetes was diagnosed my weight dropped to below 9 and half stone, but I could still start my Rapide. I was too weak, or I suppose lacked the energy to get it on the rear stand after a ride.

oexing

VOC Member
My procedure of kicking a big single is slightly different: I depress the lever till compression, then pull the lifter and rotate - JUST - past the TDC a fraction of total starter stroke to be sure of having the crank past TDC. Now I release the lifter and kick at max. force. Reason: I don´t really know if keeping the lifter pulled too long would upset the mixture with partly open valves for so long. At least my procedure works great with singles, never had a chance to kick a Vincent so far , still in the reconstruction mode.

Vic