First start up.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Nice to see the JE steering head and concentric in the bottom right of the picture, Enjoy riding and if there are any queries concerning either handling or comfort come back and ask.

erik

VOC Member
On Saturday I made the first 60 miles with the Rapide. Excellent road-holding with the steering stem and the engine with a lot of power. On the revcounter I went up to 4000 revs. The carbs are a little bit weak on tickover but the straight-through silencer is too loud. I will swap to a spiral baffle one, selling the other. Regards, Erik

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
4000 rev's, Is a bit soon Eric ?.
You don't want to nip the motor and have to do it all again.
Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
All depends on his piston clearance I am sure I am not alone in giving it 6 thou and racing the next day

erik

VOC Member
I have 5 thou Piston clearence and what I think is that not the revs are the Problem .It is the work which the engine has to do. High load means high temperature.If the engine is Spinning with low load there is low temperature and no Problem for the Pistons.I have carillo Pistons with modern ring Technology and therefore the bedding in procedure is finished after a short milage.regards Erik

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I can understand, He is Drunk with the Power !!. :)
As an Ex Racer, I have had to give it one, Early after a build, But for a Road Bike I think I would be a little more gentle.
I think it was our T.T. Who has told us, If the Barrel or where it goes on , Is a thou' out,
That 5 thou is a lot less ?.
Good Luck, Bill.

clevtrev

VOC Member
4000 rev's, Is a bit soon Eric ?.
You don't want to nip the motor and have to do it all again.
Cheers Bill.
If you do not give enough revs on initial start up, the rings will never seat, pressure generated by the high revs, will push the rings out on to the bore, thus seating them. If you do not give enough pressure the oil is able to get by the ring and the chance is now gone. So on assy, NO oil in combustion chamber and good high revs for a good few minutes to get the job done properly.