First ride this year.

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Marcus, I am so relieved to read that the cause of the starter failure was something to do with bike and not the starter components, since having had mine fitted I have become totally reliant on it, I very much doubt that my knackered old knee could even turn it over now let alone start it.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Interested in the Avo thing mentioned. Is that a fairly straightforward swap? Don’t want to turn this into a suspension thread but my C Rapide is a bone shaker.
Sidecar springs have been swapped over to Konis I think but it feels like a rigid frame.
Hi Danno, While testing dampers for the modified steering stem I found Koni's to be the worst for soaking up small bumps and rough road, ok for big bumps and potholes, but rigid on the small stuff, as TT says change to a strutted rear end , I have just done this, I had fitted an AVO coil over and was disappointed with the result, then I realised more rear suspension travel meant more whacks on the backside, so calculated how long a pair of struts would need to be and knocked up a pair just to try, all I can say is BLISS
I immediately made a proper pair and would never go back to the standard C set up.
SDC17937.JPG

danno

Non-VOC Member
Hi Danno, While testing dampers for the modified steering stem I found Koni's to be the worst for soaking up small bumps and rough road, ok for big bumps and potholes, but rigid on the small stuff, as TT says change to a strutted rear end , I have just done this, I had fitted an AVO coil over and was disappointed with the result, then I realised more rear suspension travel meant more whacks on the backside, so calculated how long a pair of struts would need to be and knocked up a pair just to try, all I can say is BLISS
I immediately made a proper pair and would never go back to the standard C set up.View attachment 36661

Thanks. Looks like a worthwhile mod. Monoshock too.
Assuming it bolts onto the original mounts.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I immediately made a proper pair and would never go back to the standard C set up.View attachment 36661
The long rear struts that result in a fully suspended seat are just the thing for comfort BUT! They place a large twisting moment on those fragile 'legs' at the front of the seat frame. Fit a brace to prevent failure! See attached

Attachments

• A Fully Suspended Vincent Seat.pdf
    484.2 KB · Views: 31
  • suspended seat struts 001.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Danno, that is the AVO coil over and it bolts straight in.
Martyn, yes I realise about the stress on the front mount, mine is a much thicker home made stainless seat frame but will be looking at doing something extra to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Danno, when making seat struts it's best to remove the rear springs and lower the suspension as far as it will go until the damper bottoms out. It is surprising how far the wheel travels. Cheers, Stu.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Don't forget to make all seat pivot points solid.
Also if you have the long seat from the Spares Co the rear lifting handle may hit the back of the seat. On my twin I turned the lifting handle over which moves it backwards aroung the mudguard in relation to the seat. You have to weld a new tab on for the rear chain guard fixing or if you can find a Comet lifting handle turning it over puts the tab on the correct right hand side.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Nice ride out again, second time this week, , on my own today, C Shadow, it's first time out this year, behaved very nicely, even started second kick. very smooth engine with not a hint of vibration. Pictured here today at RAF Henlow. View attachment 35936

Looks great. Shocks look longer than the C Rapide ones.