First Ride on my Vincent After Two Years Away From It

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yesterday I went for a ride…more leaks showed up, necessitating the removal of the gas tank ( just installed) to sleuth the source. Enough. I am not going to waste even one of the few nice riding days remaining this year when I could be riding, and so I shall.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Bob, if you don't mind me enquiring, when did you acquire your Vincent, have you done much riding on it before the problems arose?
That’s a very good question. I rode pillion on this bike from about 1963 to about 1973, when my father bought me my own bike. I then rode the Vincent from about 1986 on, being awarded furthest ridden Vincent at the Biggar British Bike rally a couple of times. I put pistons and valve seals into it in the mid-90’s and recently had the heads refreshed as required.
The issue, then is that I have been spoiled by the silky smooth FJR1300 with electronic suspension and I prefer to ride rather than wrench..in fact, I hate everything except the most routine maintenance chores.

G

Graham Smith

The timing cover gasket on my Rapide desperately needs replacing too.

I have the gasket sitting in the workshop looking at me, but I just can’t seem to find the time to do it.

With Josh now away at Uni’ and not able to nag me any more, I fear it may not get done until he gets home at Christmas!

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
The timing cover gasket on my Rapide desperately needs replacing too.

I have the gasket sitting in the workshop looking at me, but I just can’t seem to find the time to do it.

With Josh now away at Uni’ and not able to nag me any more, I fear it may not get done until he gets home at Christmas!
Bring it over, I’ll do it for you..

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
That’s a very good question. I rode pillion on this bike from about 1963 to about 1973, when my father bought me my own bike. I then rode the Vincent from about 1986 on, being awarded furthest ridden Vincent at the Biggar British Bike rally a couple of times. I put pistons and valve seals into it in the mid-90’s and recently had the heads refreshed as required.
The issue, then is that I have been spoiled by the silky smooth FJR1300 with electronic suspension and I prefer to ride rather than wrench..in fact, I hate everything except the most routine maintenance chores.
Oh well Bob, you have been around Vincent's for a long time, two years longer than I, I purchased my everyday rider Rapide in 1965, and it is still my preferred machine, having tried relatively modern stuff. It does sound like after many years of Vincent ownership, you have discovered that they are not really for you.

You sum it up pretty well with the words "silky smooth" and I know exactly what you mean, I rode my FJ1200 ABS down to the South of France when I first got it, two up, fully loaded with pannier boxes, top box, tank bag, and it did everything exceeding well, would probably have cruised all day at 120mph, if I could have put up with the head buffeting, and frequent stops for fuel, and of course, getting arrested and locked up, the French take flagrant abuse of speed limits fairly seriously. The FJR takes it a step further with shaft drive, so pretty much zero routine maintenance, just the required 10.000 mile servicing, what is not to like, well for me quite a lot.

I think I derive my enjoyment from living in the past, I went to hill climb event this weekend just gone, on the Vincent of course, as all the participating vehicles drove and rode past us spectators sat at the side of the road, the vehicles that stirred my soul were exotica from my youth, and even earlier, Gilera 4, cammy Velo's on open mega's, Brough's, Bentley's, Bugatti's, D types, C types, Cobra's, Dino's, and many many more, quite a few computer generated modern stuff went up also, but they did not really grab my attention.

It does sound to me like you are soon to be an ex Vincent owner, and I wish you luck with your Vincent free motorcycling future, its been interesting reading your posts on this forum.

Cheers

Peter

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Oh well Bob, you have been around Vincent's for a long time, two years longer than I, I purchased my everyday rider Rapide in 1965, and it is still my preferred machine, having tried relatively modern stuff. It does sound like after many years of Vincent ownership, you have discovered that they are not really for you.

You sum it up pretty well with the words "silky smooth" and I know exactly what you mean, I rode my FJ1200 ABS down to the South of France when I first got it, two up, fully loaded with pannier boxes, top box, tank bag, and it did everything exceeding well, would probably have cruised all day at 120mph, if I could have put up with the head buffeting, and frequent stops for fuel, and of course, getting arrested and locked up, the French take flagrant abuse of speed limits fairly seriously. The FJR takes it a step further with shaft drive, so pretty much zero routine maintenance, just the required 10.000 mile servicing, what is not to like, well for me quite a lot.

I think I derive my enjoyment from living in the past, I went to hill climb event this weekend just gone, on the Vincent of course, as all the participating vehicles drove and rode past us spectators sat at the side of the road, the vehicles that stirred my soul were exotica from my youth, and even earlier, Gilera 4, cammy Velo's on open mega's, Brough's, Bentley's, Bugatti's, D types, C types, Cobra's, Dino's, and many many more, quite a few computer generated modern stuff went up also, but they did not really grab my attention.

It does sound to me like you are soon to be an ex Vincent owner, and I wish you luck with your Vincent free motorcycling future, its been interesting reading your posts on this forum.

Cheers

Peter
May I suggest a comet maybe just what you’re looking for. Light nimble and still a ball to ride.

Still a Vincent. I love mine.