First Ride on my Vincent After Two Years Away From It

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Vincent has been off the road for about 2 years. During that time I have been riding and enjoying a Yamaha FJR1300ES..smooth, powerful, laden with electronic wizardry and incredibly comfortable.
Yesterday I rode the Vincent..every bump in the road was felt along with the vibration of the engine. I fear the Vincent as a bike to ride even occasionally days are numbered….I have fallen out of love with it.
some people just 'don't get it'.

vibrac

VOC Member
I am approaching eighty years old
a few years ago I can recall not enjoying a ride on my Vincent, given that I have upgraded the suspension as often explained on this forum I was a bit worried, so did I give it up ? No I fitted some touring bars , problem solved! I still have Vincent straights on my Grey Flash but I find when I am on it (generally on a track) I have things other than comfort to occupy my mind. I must admit however that two up and long distance (Sardinia rally comes to mind) my 1150 GS BMW is hard to beat.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You don't have to explain Bob,
I know a few people who wake up one morning and think,
Do you know, I have had some fun, But I have pushed my luck enough,
One of them was a racer !,
I have thought of giving up many times, But I can't,
I am 76 now and every year I wonder if I can still ride and enjoy.
Good Luck, Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Bad roads are part of the scenario you are not unique
According to the Asphalt Industry Alliance (AIA), councils in England and Wales filled 1.7 million potholes in the 2019-20 financial year, equating to one being fixed every 19 seconds.1 However, due to a decline in road maintenance budgets over the past 12 months this number has fallen by a fifth and getting all roads back into a ‘reasonable, steady state’ would cost £11.14bn and take 11 years.

Colin

VOC Member
Oh dear, Bazlerker, throwing in the towel so young.! At 85 I,ve just bought a lighter bike (250 Greeves East Coaster for shorter rides) but my Vins will remain with me.. For a bit more comfort, than standard, and longer distances, I have a Godet Egli twin.
What you will lose, IF you leave the VOC and join the Yamaha Owners, is leaving the best motorcycle club EVER, for just another ordinary one
Entirely your choice of course, but I hope you don't live to regret it

andrew peters

VOC Member
The variable that no one other than residents of Manitoba can be aware of is the state of our roads. The temperature variations that we experience - from -40c to +35c, on roads that are laid on ground that expands and contracts at a rate that is astonishing because we live on what used to be an ancient lake bed - the mud that we live on is nearly 200 feet thick. As a result of this our roads are little better than cart tracks. The Vincent is, quite simply, the wrong bike for our roads.
BC isn't much better Bob, you were here a few years back I remember. I ride South every year, Washington and Oregon are similar, take a back road and it soon deteriorates to gravel! especially the fun mountain roads. A couple years back there was a 'Trials' Rapide at the VOC spares shop, I was quite tempted...
I have many bikes come through my shop and a couple days back I had a new Honda Africa Twin here.. "take it for a ride" the owner says.. "no way!" I reply, (I may like it!)
Ride On My Friends

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes I am tempted to buy something newish, Before it's too late !,
But the Wife says NO !,
Unless I sell all my JUNK !,
But I have done a lot with my stuff, lots of memories, Racing etc, Awards,
So unless I get a big win On the premium Bonds, I will have to stick with what I know,
I would kill myself with 160 ish BHP ?.