First Ride on my Vincent After Two Years Away From It

andrew peters

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Before selling it try to get a ride on a Vin equipped with the JE steerng stem, softer springs etc at the front and a fully sprung saddle with an AVO coill over damper on the rear. It will not stop the vibration or the rattles but it will make a remarkable difference to its feel over bumps etc.
a local guy here in Victoria has just completed his 20 year Comet project that he says he doesn't enjoy as much as he hoped, he intends to off-load the bike on his unsuspecting son.. I advised him on the JE mod with the springs etc... As I'm happy to admit, I've never ridden a bad Vincent. I put Normans recommendations into my bike before i even rode it. I really am not a Vincent expert but I know I wouldn't want to own an expensive shop display

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
All this talk of Not riding,
Thought I would get the Old L/ning out, And find the Needles !,
Before it's too late !.

Attachments

• IMG_20211011_140028 (2).jpg
    IMG_20211011_140028 (2).jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 31

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hope not Garth, But we are of an Age now,
I do worry !,
Lately with Covid and in UK , Petrol Stations Blocked because someone said there would be a shortage,

The Traffic where I am has been MAD this year,
Because people have been stuck in there house , They just want to get out and go to the coast,
Can't blame them !,
Took the wife for our Covid injection and she didn't want to go home !!.

Look after yourself, Bill.

Prince Duster

VOC Member
I could get them to tick over very smooth,
But as soon as I was on the road, They were too weak !,
So they must run little rough ?.
I worked at 2 Jaguar Garages .
I did the mixture with a SUN Machine.
Cheers Bill.
My '75 XJ coupe seems the same - and the guys are at your old work place in Sheperd's Bush Bill, I think, which was once Conways. Wonder if the high fuel mpg of these cars is due to being set up running rich? Therefore better. Grand motor though, whatever the mpg.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
It's Funny David, I should Take note of what I say !,
My Ex L/ning rep' Can be a beast to start after a short stop at the coast,
It gets cold very quick !, That half warm half cold has been strange, For a long time,
Thought I was just getting Old and Weak !, Hate that thought !,
And for years , If I run it rich , It wets the plugs, On all my Bikes !, After about 10 miles,
But a 1/4 of a turn in on the pilot jet, On the rear carb,
Made such a difference,
On my Mk2 Amals, BUT it doesn't tick over as smooth, Begger !,
As you know the lower the rev's, The better it is for getting in gear etc,
I still have it in Race trim,
Also if it doesn't start, Just half a choke on the REAR carb', Seems to be what it likes,
Hard to do with Mk2 s, But is possible.

From Cold , Both chokes on , But only for a second, Maybe leave the rear one on longer !.
This new petrol doesn't help ?,
With my old T.T. Carbs, " A bit rich ", It was a super starter,

Still Learning after all these years .
Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Bill, I have come across some older Amals, particularly on Nortons with a device on the throttle stop screw that allowed you to turn the screw about 1/2 a turn but no more fitted. You set the tickover and then this bit clamped on so you could easily raise the tickover speed and also turn it back to a fixed point even with a gloved hand. Could you not make an extended pilot screw and do the same.
P1010026.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Good Idea, Chris, As always !,
But I think this is an ongoing thing ?, We have dropped Temp' 10 degrees, In the South !,
Winter is coming !.
I had something like it on my Special, Just for the tick over, In Traffic.

Also with the Mk2 if you rich the mixture you have to up the tick over speed,
I must not touch the throttle when starting from warm, Or it gets upset :) ,
They take a bit of playing with , But I like them, It goes well !, 30 mm,
I don't often go over 1/4 throttle, That's 80 mph,
Makes me wonder why we go for Big Carbs ??.

This is why Cars have an ECU ?, Take the temp' of Air and Engine and then give you the mixture ?.
Always Playing . Cheers Bill.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
My Vincent has been off the road for about 2 years. During that time I have been riding and enjoying a Yamaha FJR1300ES..smooth, powerful, laden with electronic wizardry and incredibly comfortable.
Yesterday I rode the Vincent..every bump in the road was felt along with the vibration of the engine. I fear the Vincent as a bike to ride even occasionally days are numbered….I have fallen out of love with it.
My friend Lyle wants to buy a Vincent twin. If you want to sell yours contact me and I will connect you with Lyle. I love my Vincent. I find I prefer riding it to modern bikes. This summer I sold my 2000 Triumph Sprint and bought an 84 Guzzi Lemans instead. I think the Guzzi is really about as modern as I want to go. The most modern bike I have is a Honda VTR 1000. I think I will keep that one. I would be lucky to get more than $2500 for it anyway.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
My friend Lyle wants to buy a Vincent twin. If you want to sell yours contact me and I will connect you with Lyle. I love my Vincent. I find I prefer riding it to modern bikes. This summer I sold my 2000 Triumph Sprint and bought an 84 Guzzi Lemans instead. I think the Guzzi is really about as modern as I want to go. The most modern bike I have is a Honda VTR 1000. I think I will keep that one. I would be lucky to get more than $2500 for it anyway.
Nigel, Thankyou…I have a person here in the colonies who has first right of refusal should I choose to sell it.
I’m sending the bike to one of the Vincent gods to be caressed for a few months. Upon its return I shall ride & decide..maybe.