But as soon as I was on the road, They were too weak !,
So they must run little rough ?.
I worked at 2 Jaguar Garages .
I did the mixture with a SUN Machine.
Cheers Bill.

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
2 years ago I finally welded M 18x1,5 mm threads into the E-Type ex pipes for lambda sensors - after having the car for 30 years at last. So I could see on the road that all was not fine with the SU needles in it. Once there were hundreds of needles for fine tuning so I got what was avaliable today judging from sizes in files. Well, it is quite allright now - but we only get the thing on the road for MOT in 2 years intervals - and not much more sadly.
Trying a lambda sensor on bikes is a worthwhile job I´d say, saving a lot of headscratching. And there is always a place to be found less visible on the pipes so you don´t need extra test pipes.

Vic

Glyn Baxter

Forum User
VOC Member
Dear Bazlerker,

You have hit the nail on the head. Your Yamaha has umpteen years of technical development over the Vincent yet, if your Vin was converted to the Series D configuration with fully sprung back end incorporating Pettiford sidecar springs , larger section modern tyres, D type longer, and softer but well damped fork springs, coupled with the latest 3" longer saddle the ride comfort is transformed, although probably with rather less performance available than with the Yamaha.
With this set up, solo, my Shadow covered approaching 200,000 miles from 1987 to 2016 without any discomfort.
No longer ridden solo due to a balance problem on my part it has now been converted to what I believe is the only Shadow Trike extant which has had very little use during the current COVID crisis. However roll on next year.

Last edited:

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Glyn my handsome, that is all very well rolling on next year but when are we going to see the No 1 "A" used. If your not capable of riding it I 'm bloody sure we could find a sympathetic rider for you, my daughter Camita handles hers with great skill and always takes a lovely line round corners. In 1995 when she flew out to NZ and took the bars of Roberts "D" Rap and we did North & South Islands all aver again with her after the rally ending up doing Milford Sound 5th April (her 20th Birthday) John & Aloma Von T put on a very memorable meal for us when we returned to Te Anau and with their son Reece.

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear Bazlerker,

You have hit the nail on the head. Your Yamaha has umpteen years of technical development over the Vincent yet, if your Vin was converted to the Series D configuration with fully sprung back end incorporating Pettiford sidecar springs , larger section modern tyres, D type longer, and softer but well damped fork springs, coupled with the latest 3" longer saddle the ride comfort is transformed, although probably with rather less performance available than with the Yamaha.
With this set up, solo, my Shadow covered approaching 200,000 miles from 1987 to 2016 without any discomfort.
No longer ridden solo due to a balance problem on my part it has now been converted to what I believe is the only Shadow Trike extant which has had very little use during the current COVID crisis. However roll on next year.

That's a rather expensive trike!

A Standard Shadow in outstanding condition just changed hands in Australia for $185,000.