First Ride on my Vincent After Two Years Away From It

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I suppose it depends what you are looking for in a motorcycle, I think the worst thing that happened in motorcycle development was the transversely mounted inline four, well apart from Gilera and M.V. Agusta that is. I have never ridden an FJR 1300, but I have ridden, and still own its predecessor, the FJ 1200 ABS, I have owned it for around 20 years, and should have got rid of it 18 years ago, but it sits in my garage, unused, unloved, deteriorating, and worth very little money.

You may well ask why, well firstly my wife and pillion passenger for over 30 years dislikes it, or perhaps I should say more accurately, prefers the Vincent, yes genuinely, fully sprung with a longer than standard seat, she tells it is more comfortable. I tried several screens in an attempt to eradicate head buffeting, finally settling for a MRA screen splitter, I think the FJR has an adjustable screen to overcome that problem, the Vincent, ridden at fair speed does not need a screen at all, just an 8 inch headlamp.

I am sure the FJR is a fine motorcycle, does it have a heated seat? probably the nearest single track vehicle you wil get to Lexus car, but there are a few others, Pan's, Wings, etc. I did own a BMW R100R Classic, a very fine machine I am sure, but Sue disliked the vibes it gave off, thankfully it went to a good home, Bill Cannon took it off my hands. Also owned a Ducati 750S 1975, great bike, loads of grunt and character, if you don't mind a really painful lower back, hands and wrists.

I do not make comparisons with modern machinery, there is little point, my Son's NSR 250, and NC30 both runs rings round my Vincent, well they do when I am riding it anyway, but he is more than happy to jump on my Comet or Rapide and ride them, as we did this weekend going to Kop Hill, great weekend by the way, his one big criticism of the Vincent in general was the brakes, you simply have to learn to ride accordingly and hope no one pulls out directly in front of you, but I try to anticipate those threats also.

Good luck with your decision Bob, I hope you make the right one for you.

Last edited:

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
My Vincent has been off the road for about 2 years. During that time I have been riding and enjoying a Yamaha FJR1300ES..smooth, powerful, laden with electronic wizardry and incredibly comfortable.
Yesterday I rode the Vincent..every bump in the road was felt along with the vibration of the engine. I fear the Vincent as a bike to ride even occasionally are numbered….I have fallen out of love with it.
I´d offer u a swap with my beloved, cultured, clean and reliable Yamaha XJ900, ready to go everywhere and back. I´d even ride it to u and leave on your swap bike...

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Before selling it try to get a ride on a Vin equipped with the JE steerng stem, softer springs etc at the front and a fully sprung saddle with an AVO coill over damper on the rear. It will not stop the vibration or the rattles but it will make a remarkable difference to its feel over bumps etc.
2 tubular stays between passenger footrest anchor plates and rear seat frame fittings will do nearly the same
to a lesser price. Also good balancing of wheels will make a difference. No rider needs more comfort.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Before selling it try to get a ride on a Vin equipped with the JE steerng stem, softer springs etc at the front and a fully sprung saddle with an AVO coill over damper on the rear. It will not stop the vibration or the rattles but it will make a remarkable difference to its feel over bumps etc.
so true

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Standard….. or short length AVO coil over? I’m 6’1”..

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Have you ridden other Vincents? I’m surprised to hear that engine vibration is a problem, whilst not as blandly silky smooth as an inline four a normal one shouldn’t vibrate uncomfortably.
I have several jobs today..one is to investigate the carburation. I dont recall it vibrating this much. I have ridden a few other Vincent’s including 1330 Egli’s

timetraveller

VOC Member
Is it a 'D'? At 6' 1" youi will have no problem with the full length coil over but I think that the shorter coil overs were made for 'D's and the standard coil over for Bs ad C seems fine. I know one person who is short and heavy and he has just made a special one person seat to lower the seat height on a 'C' as he was worried about lowering the full length seat and the extra movement causing damage to the rear mudguard.

Last edited: