First Owner

Goffy998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On the works order form for my '48 Rapide, under 'Name' is written 'Huxham Bournemouth'. Did the 'Name' on the Works Order Form usually denote the dealer, final customer or either?
Joe Huxham was a dealer in Morgans & I can find no Vincent connection mentioned online so I'm assuming it was his personal bike. Did anyone know him as a Vincent owner?
Joe Huxham seemed quite a lad, raced a supercharged Morgan in Hill climbs & sprints as well as an involvement in car racing..
PG

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The delivery name on the Works Order form was usually the dealers name and not the final customer. Occasionally bikes were bought direct from Vincent but most were sold via a dealer.

Huxhams Ltd of 149-155 Ashley Road, Parkstone, Bournmouth took at least 72 Vincents according to the information I have. In relation to the big dealers like Conways, 72 is small, but overall I would say Huxhams was a small to medium size Vincent dealer.

Simon

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Vincents did not retail there bikes,( postwar) only works used, as the dealers were retailers and a few were picked up by customer's from the works then the customer would bring the rego plates supplied to him from the dealer a couple of works guy bought new Vincents they ordered through Bryants of Biggleswade which were the nearest dealer and they had to pay Bryants but did pick up from the Factory