First Motorcycle Ride Since September 2019

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
On Wednesday I decided it was about time I ventured out again on two wheels after lockdown etc, so I dragged the Rapide out of the garage and put the battery on charge. The bike has a Pazon ignition and had not been run since 2018 I think because racing my Rudge tended to fulfil my need for a ride. The AGM battery was dead and refused to charge, so I taxed the car and drove to Halfords to buy a new AGM battery. That should teach me to charge laid up batteries.

After draining the sump and 'freshening up' the petrol by adding some super unleaded that was bought in September 2019 I tried to start the bike. It tried now and then, but was a real pig, especially as it was a very hot day. Eventually it started and ran very nicely, but I decide it was just too hot to go for a ride, plus as a diabetic my blood sugars would have taken a serious nose dive, due to the exertion.

My intention was to ride the Vincent to a lunchtime Rudge gathering in Partridge Green on Thursday.

The bike started first kick on Thursday morning and ran beautifully on the road. It also started first kick on leaving Partridge Green and again at a petrol station when I added some fresh fuel.

It was really great to be out on two wheels again after all this time and also have a nice pub lunch at the Partridge, but my main reason for telling this tale is that this proves that Texaco Supreme Unleaded appears to have life even when it is pretty old.

A_HRD

VOC Member
In a similar vein, my Rapide was laid-up for 2 years while I moved house (TWICE - DON'T ASK). After doing some oil priming, I started it, first kick, last week and rode it home. It had about a gallon of Esso Supreme in the tank while laid-up.

The gloss was removed from the next ride when the front plug oiled/sooted-up! Maybe the valve-guide seals haven't fared so well?!

Peter B

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just another Beast in the Forest !.

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_124752 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210917_124752 (2).jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 22