Fire and devastation

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To all those members in the face of the terrible fires in NSW and Queensland, I wish you well. Over 250 square kilometres of fire is bearing down on Terry Prince. Others in Southern NSW are up against similar fires. Then we have people like Jeff Shilton fighting those fires. This is no time for thoughts and prayers. These guys are at the mercy of the weather and what humans can do to prevent total devastation. I wish you well and tell you there are people who will look after you if it comes to the worst.

Comet

VOC Member
I have just been reading about the fires. It certainly sounds very bad. Please keep safe everyone. With some luck rains will come your way very soon.

Albervin

VOC Member
Update. I have just had a long chat with Terry Prince. He and Ursula are safe. However, they are mentally and physically exhausted from nearly six weeks of fighting the fires. YES! Multiple fires have come in from the South, North and West. Eventually they all combined to become a MEGA fire. The death toll in animals is in the BILLIONS!! and some species are now extinct. Fortunately they have drinking water, a generator and a supply of red wine plus a sense of humour. It is not over yet but at least they have an open road to the city.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
That is certainly the case in New South Wales. Oh, never refer to it as a Koala Bear. It is not a Bear.
Probably not a great time to get bogged down in semantics, but some of us Brits were educated to refer to the Koala as the Koala Bear, I don't think anyone actually thought it was a member of the Ursidae genus, in much the same way as the Thylacine seems to have been universally referred to as the Tasmanian Tiger, but no one thought it was a member of the Panthera genus. I am really looking forward to visiting Australia soon and hopefully seeing Koala living in the wild, although not so likely now, sadly zero chance of seeing the Tasmanian Tiger as it became officially extinct when the last living specimen was left to die in the cold in Hobart Zoo in 1936, stupid ignorant humans hunted them to extinction.

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Peter, if you want to look at human devastation of a species look up North American Bison and American Passenger Pigeon. The numbers will blow you away.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
in much the same way as the Thylacine seems to have been universally referred to as the Tasmanian Tiger, but no thought it was a member of the Panthera genus. I am really looking forward to visiting Australia soon and hopefully seeing Koala living in the wild, although not so likely now, sadly zero chance of seeing the Tasmanian Tiger as it became officially extinct when the last living specimen was left to die in the cold in Hobart Zoo in 1936, stupid ignorant humans hunted them to extinction.
It seems a few Thylacine may have endured..... Hopefully.

tasmanian tiger sightings

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 11.41.27.png