Finding E0 Petrol in UK

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There was debate a while ago about E0 petrol being available in the south east of UK, Esso SuperPlus and Shell SuperUnleaded. Both were available widely at their stations.
Yesterday I tried to get some E0, both fuels are now E5, regular is now E10. Does anyone still offer E0?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
If you go onto the Esso website they state that in certain areas of the country, the South East being one, they are obligated to put E5 on the pump, but apparently that only indicates that it could contain up to 5% ethanol, when in fact it contains no ethanol, but that only relates to Esso Super Plus.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Its not a problem to check use the same measuring jug you use to measure your CR ratio (You do dont you?)
Stuff 100cc of "petrol" in a measuring jug add 10cc of water coloured with some icing sugar dye (thanks Dear, I only want a drop !)
shake it up good and proper let it settle then the amount of coloured water over your 10% is the ethanol content.

A Nut

VOC Member
Find a horticultural supplier and buy yourself a Briggs & Stratton Gasohol tester B & S part no 795161. You can easily test your local Esso Superplus fuel to see if there is any ethanol in it. We have tested 2 local Esso Superplus fuels and found them to be ethanol free despite the fact they say E5 on the pumps. On questioning Esso they said they were obliged to do this. Shell however does have ethanol in their Super plus. The station managers insist that there isn't any BUT THERE IS! This piece of kit is easy to use. put a measured quantity of water into the container, add the required amount of petrol and shake it. If there is any ethanol in the petrol it will mix with the water and you can read off the %. If there is none the amount of water stays the same. We have had glassfibre tanks blistering and steel tanks rusting using ethanol in the petrol at 5% in the Mid Glos Section. AVGas 100LL is the best stuff but of course it is illegal to use it in road vehicles as despite its price it does not have any fuel duty.
ANut

vibrac

VOC Member
If you want pricey but clean there is always
I have no idea what the tax situation is I use it on my mowers but I have used it to test if my running problems is crap petrol.

royrobertson

VOC Member
I always use Esso Superplus in my road bikes and 50/50 Esso and Avgas in my racer. There are hoops you have to jump through to get the Avgas and it is more expensive than Esso but the lead helps with my 11.3 to 1 compression. It also keeps for years. I understand in our area (S.E England) that although the Esso pumps have and E5 label they are E0. Woopee!!!

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have used Avgas in the past, but mostly in my Ducati 250 Desmo and Ducati 750s, sadly neither of which I own any longer, but I do like running leaded 4* fuel without ethanol in my Vincent's, so I currently use Esso Superplus mixed with Tetra Boost, which unless they are making it up or telling lies, is a genuine tetraethyl lead additive, added to a 20 litre jerry can at the filling station, works a treat.

highbury731

VOC Member
It's good to know that Esso SuperPlus E5 is still E0. I bought some to put in my red plastic Jerry can, so I can test how far the newly modified fuel tap in my Norton will go on reserve before conking out. Before modification, it would go 3 1/4 miles on reserve. It's now somewhere around 17 miles, but I need to test it a few times.

The Jerry can? Fuel poured out of the bottom, it has either got plastic fatigue or new type petrols have dissolved it. I dumped the fuel in the tank as fast as possible.

brian gains

VOC Member
yep, second Roy's E0 findings in this neck of the woods.
Co incidentally I put some of the 'corn oil' stuff, for the first time, in the Comet last w/e, thought i'd test the water, no pun intended.
For the first thirty odd miles I actually thought things were a little crisper with engine response but could have been some placebo effect. Anyhoos after a stop and five miles into the journey it was very noticeable the motor was struggling to pull 4th as normal.
Not had a chance to properly investigate things yet, but has the pipe blued a little more?, points are OK, plug doesn't indicate anything catastrophic, exhayst pushrod all in agjustment.
Did have a pain starting after a run previous w/e, plug as dry as a bone, after a performance that would have put Jonny Wilkinson to shame, did start eventually and cleaned out pilot and no issue.
So i'm thinking maybe timing has slipped, or would that have got swiftly progressively worse?.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I tested 9 fuel types on Dyno hill.
5% ethanol lost about 3hp vs pure gas. 10% ethanol knocked another 2 hp off.
This is after mainjet optimization for each fuel type.
Each test took about 2 hours with all of the mainjet changes.
An 850 Commando was used for the tests.
Best result was 91 RON puregas.
Next best was 94 RON puregas.

Glen