A: Oil Pipework Filter mesh for TC30AS

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have need to make a new filter cage for the TC30 what is the spec for the mesh, what do I ask for and where do I find a piece. I understand that the solder used will be tinman`s which I have in my tool box so just need the right mesh. The present one is degraded some wire is rotted away.
Oil return valve and gauze filter_DSC1529.JPG

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Google "very fine brass mesh". I've succeeded by doing the lengthwise seam first over an aluminium form then shaping the top in an "X" and dipping in a solder pot, finally tacking on to the rest of the T30AS.

Last edited:

Chris.R

VOC Member
I had looked up google and ebay that is not the problem it is obtaining a piece of mesh not too fine that is mine seems to have 30 or 32 holes to the inch when I look up this spec I find difficulties my understanding was that the finest mesh will not do.

Albervin

VOC Member
Just pulled mine out of an original and unmolested UFM. At the moment it is being cleaned but I reckon 32 holes/inch minimum. A bit moot whether 32 or 40 really. If you start with a clean UFM then you should be OK. I will try to measure but a round feeler in a square hole is not ideal. I don't think flow rate will be a big issue.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I would stay away from too fine a mesh........After all it is merely a "Rock catcher" style of filter, the engine has an excellent filter between the pump and the timing chest galleries .............The fine mesh filters are better for things like fuel taps where the fluid is more viscous.........whatever that means........;).

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I would stay away from too fine a mesh........After all it is merely a "Rock catcher" style of filter, the engine has an excellent filter between the pump and the timing chest galleries .............The fine mesh filters are better for things like fuel taps where the fluid is more viscous.........whatever that means........;).
Petrol is less viscous (thick, gummy) than engine oil.