Filling the gap

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am having trouble with 2 things improving braking with the racer and remembering

Dealing as we have to with the regulations with outwardly standard 7" brakes I seem to recall that one of the things that was done 'back then' was to fill in the gap between the end of the lining face and the end of the shoe with alloy and then fit longer linings turning them for a snug fit.
I cannot remember which end of the shoe it was done to though I suppose it was the cam end nor can I remember if it was both shoes on each respective plate or just the leading or trailing end. I do recall it was one of those things that was wrong in theory but worked in practice.

Any help from those with a better memory would be appreciated

Those of you with disks can ignore my fumbling - unless of course the new EU roadworthy test is enshrined in law without question,Because as written now those non-standard disc's (and many other mods) will cause a test failure :-(

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I have belled out the bore of the shoes where they sit over the pivot pins, so that the shoes only touch the pin where the split pin goes through. This way the shoes can 'float' and make full contact with the drum. I have great front brake, with non-asbestos black linings ( Shadow drums and Lightning plates ). You can also remove 50% of the trailing shoe lining which will make the leading shoe work harder ( but this may increase fade in a racing environment ! ) I'm trying this on my A twin.

vibrac

VOC Member
Ron Kemp 238 MPH:

David

Thanks David now I remember where I learnt that from unkel Ron where else?
that was a fine motorcycle I rode it a few times
nowadays I can get this done by my suppliers once I have modified the shoes

davidd

VOC Member
Carleton Palmer made some of these and had Vintage Brake line them. He did not like them as they were incredibly fierce going on. They always made him a little nervous. I suspect the linings can be contoured to minimize this, but it could also be why the gap is there!

David

vibrac

VOC Member
I wonder if Carleton had the 1/4" lead in as mentioned in that MPH quote?
I don't recall the brake being that fierce but then at that age caution is not very evident.
I do recall that Ron had to add (weld-braze) two strengthening plates on each leg at the bottom of the Brampton's above the end casting across the two tubes as they had started to bend under the heavy braking

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Further investigations via "40 years on" Ron mentions an article in a "November MPH" ( around the 225-235 issue?) by John Ward about these lining modifications (But I cant find that article)
It also says that issue 228 relates that John Mcdonald was the originator of the mod back in 1956!
Although I remember racing with John Ward all I can remember about 1956 in connection with a Vincent was Be-Bop-a-lula by Gene Vincent, now there is another thing they dont make like they used to....