Filling clutch compartment with ATF , Veetwo or V3 run in oil plates

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Ernie, it depends a lot on the annual mileage done. I tried just soaking the plates, it worked fine for maybe 1000 - 1500 miles or so, then got noisy and would grab on takeoff.

I'm leaving on Tuesday for a 1400 mile trip. If I run with some oil in there, the clutch works well without attention for several thousand miles.

Glen

clevtrev

VOC Member
Drill a couple of holes above the clutch in the cover, and three below it. 3/16". Problem solved. Easy to fill up if you ever need to.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Drill a couple of holes above the clutch in the cover, and three below it. 3/16". Problem solved. Easy to fill up if you ever need to.

or just one hidden hole to make one of the existing screw holes into a filler.
Bruce, are the Cometic gaskets still available?
Glen

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Contact Paul Holdsworth at phpeh@hotmail.com

He sent this to me:

'What is AFM? AFM is a chemically blown, compounded nitrile synthetic rubber, bonded to an aluminum core with temperature resistance of over 2500 F. AFM material does not require gasket sealers or silicone bead. Re-torque is NOT required.

I am responding to your note regarding gaskets, made by Cometic, for the post war Vincent Twin.

The Chicago Section, driven by the relentless enthusiasm of Glenn Shriver, has moved this effort along over the past half dozen years-working on and off- during which time we worked out a relationship of sorts with the folks at Cometic. I work in the Motorcycle industry -media-and have have called on Cometic for some years.

The Timing Cover Gasket has been available for some years. This past year, with the assistance of 'friend of the section'- Joe Marten- whom is a design engineer with access to a scanner, digitizer, and 3 D printer, took our effort to the next level to develop the primary cover gasket and other gaskets that seemed to make sense.

Working with Glenn Shriver & Mike Urschel, using the Vincent Twin castings that they have at hand for fit and variance, Joe created digital files in a format which Cometic utilized to cut the Vincent gaskets.'

Our initial intent was for local consumption with some thought that the VOC Spares company would take over the effort, which did not come to pass. Tim Holcroft mentioned the project on Jtan, and Glenn brought some samples to the N. American Rally, so the 'cat' was out of the bag. I think we've sold about 20 sets as result.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I just ordered the last set and also the penultimate last set. In three weeks more last sets will be available.

Glen