A: Oil Pipework Ferrules...

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The last lot of herringbone I bought was quite a few years ago. It was a good tight fit on all the pipes. I bought some ss ferrules from Neal Videan and just sanded the herringbone a bit, lubricated with petrol and pushed the ferrules on. The hoses fit tighter than a (insert words here). No leaks for petrol or oil.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Robert and Glen have confirmed that really there is no better hose clamp than some haywire, but it is embarrassing it needs to be covered. On most of my bikes I use wire or hose clamps, but I wanted to do a bit better job on the Vincent so I got ferules and crimped them.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
When I was doing my 69 Norton restoration, I was unable to find any suitable ferrules. I decided I would machine them out of aluminum to be slightly smaller inside diameter than the measured oil line on the oil pipe. I machined a nice round end and matched the OD of the oil pipe. After a few tries, I produced a good tight fit that required some spit and twisting-push to get on. Been on 13 years now and still are oil-tight. The aluminum when lightly bead blasted resembles cad plating. I will be doing more of these for the Vin shortly.

Attachments

• 20200227_180010 (2).jpg
    20200227_180010 (2).jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator: