Fender Question

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hugo: you missed only one part of the rear stand routine. If you don't get the position of your right leg correct, succeding the rupture-inducing heave, just as the strain comes off, the tailpipe performs a neat circular biopsy on your shin, on the bit where all the nerve endings live. Now the bike is on the stand, but you aren't going to be able to walk for several minutes, or even think, until the pain ebbs. Don't tell me about childbirth. I KNOW what pain is.
My Dave Hills stand was the same initially as yours: went on easy but a gust of wind from behind and it would roll right back off again. Breaking a lifetime's rule I did things properly, took it completely off, and took a hacksaw to it, and sawed 1/8" off the stop. Virtue having its own reward, albeit sporadically, it was not much more difficult to deploy, but required a deliberate shove to, er, undeploy.
That said, considering that not only are no two Vincents the same, but no ONE Vincent is the same, Dave gets astonishingly close first time.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Tom,

Gosh, I'd forgotten about that. Yes, I have a series of ruined trousers with strange black ring-like markings on the right shin. It is intriguing that the shin injury is at exactually the right height to be compounded by the jutting Comet footrest as you try to stagger out of the cluttered garage. You are right, the Dave Hills stand is brilliant but probably needs tweaking for each individual machine. Altering the stop is not possible on mine as the tread down extension is already on the ground when the stand is in use.
P.S. I thought I had cured this stand problem by fitting a sidecar to the other Comet. It is astonishing how malevolent the feet of the rear stand can be in the up position when navigating your way around a crowded garage.

Hugo

nkt267

VOC Member
It is intriguing that the shin injury is at exactually the right height to be compounded by the jutting Comet footrest as you try to stagger out of the cluttered garage.
OH the joy of folding footrests on MY Comet(gloat, gloat):D..John

Deroberson

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well, salvage may be possible yet. It will take some time and elbow grease but here are the result I have to work with, very competent aluminum man in my area was able to help me out. Sanding and polishing in my very near future. You can see a little before and after here.

Cheers
Dave

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
It seems to be a question of personal stature. I have had other bikes with rear stands which I could operate using your left side method but it was never very successful for me on the Vincent. I have seen other Vincent owners effortlessly whip their bikes onto the stand using your method but I am convinced they are of Mr. Atlas proportions. I fear I am condemned to the 'totter of death' method from behind the machine. I have occasionally managed the left side method by using the D centre stand in conjunction with the rear stand which brings the rear stand close to the balance point.

Hugo

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
I too swear by the Hills stand, however on those occasions when the rear stand must be deployed - replacing rear tyre etc - the lifting effort is considerably reduced if you roll the rear wheel onto a slab of wood an inch or so thick before the manoeuvre.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Rear stand

If there's a Nobel Prize for the Elimination of Lumbar Trauma, I'll be putting your name forward. Don't hold your breath, though. But that slab of wood trick is a good one.
I followed the Eddie Stevens' advice to add an extension to the chainguard. Stops oil-fling. Works. But when you try to remove the rear wheel, the sprocket fouls the extension. Unless, taran-ta-RA: New! Miracle! Slab of Wood! has been employed.
Thanks.
Just been reading about Eddie, a teacher, aged 39, in Vincent Gold Portfolio. Made everything that could rust out of stainless. But at huge cost. The article reckoned he'd spent £70 on stainless. The entire UK National Debt. Changed days: today, that would buy 20 pints of Guinness...

Tom