Fast Lady, Malcom Attrill

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
In 1971 or so I had my Comet parked outside a repair shop I worked at. An English girl working at a nearby Caltex service station saw it and came over. We got talking and she said she'd just come out from England. Her name was Denise, or Denny for memory. Malcolm Attrill had apparently given her a chair on the "Fast Lady". I'll never forget her delightful turn of phrase when describing the speed- "NINETY KNICKER-WETTING MILES AN HOUR!"

greg brillus

VOC Member
Interesting David's comments about the "Starts" and how to shift your weight forward to unload the rear wheel and allow it to spin up, almost like a "Human clutch"..........I too learnt to do the same on our Honda 750/4 powered outfit. If you did not do this it would simply bog down and the starts were always hopeless. Against another Triumph powered outfit, he could always beat us to the first corner no matter what we did, the Triumph's low down torque so different to the Honda. I gave up "swinging" on the Honda after our spectacular crash in 2015. The rider who David know's, bought a Rapide off him back in about 2007 will probably get his wish to race a Vincent powered outfit soon, as a good friend of his has just bought one that he has been chasing for years. I am in the process of rebuilding the 1200 cc twin engine for it at present..........My guess is the difference in torque from the relatively stock Honda 750/4 will pale by comparison to the Vincent, the rider is no beginner to handling a racing outfit, so I'm sure it will be difficult to remove the smile from his face............. Good times ahead................. Thanks for the great photo's.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Big Sid talked about using the spinning rear tire as a "clutch" while drag racing on a solo.

vibrac

VOC Member
Ray Elgars advice to me at my first VOC sprint on my twin at Duxford (1 kilometer) was:
"stand on tip toe, give it some stick,drop the clutch and let the racing seat collect you as it comes by"
Well it worked:eek: but I went a bit off course and for a hundred yards I smashed all the white plastic lampshades arranged between the two lanes, it was a real snow storm!

Cyborg

VOC Member
During that time, I was living in Lewes. My older brother was heading out to visit a fellow who raced a Vincent outfit, so decided to tag along. He was in search off some bits for a C Rapide that he had purchased from Conways. I remember them exchanging pleasantries about a Scintilla magneto and handling it like it was a Faberge egg. The fellow who owned the racing outfit mentioned he was looking for a monkey. I asked if I could apply for the job, but he said he was looking for someone a little taller. Very polite of him to put it that way.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Latterly Malcom and his wife lived in a small holding with a veritable menagerie of animals. I remember a rather small pot bellied pig and a rather large goat with impressive neck tassels. There were lot of other creatures which I don't remember now. If you visited them there then you would remember their set up. On one occasion I was there and John Renwick turned up for a chat so information was flowing one way or another between them.

tony attrill

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
hi All, TED (Malcom) was my uncle and him and Betty both lived at Pease Pottage, since his passing Betty has moved closer to crawley town center. i enclose a photo of his bike license which is awesome.

Attachments

• 67726519_2465249127044663_5892782421027323904_n.jpg
    67726519_2465249127044663_5892782421027323904_n.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 67980714_887200238309988_4495156451811000320_n.jpg
    67980714_887200238309988_4495156451811000320_n.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 44