Fast Lady, Malcom Attrill

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
David Bowen has some photos and some interest in this bike. I hope that Passenger_0 (another David) can shed a little light for those who don't know of this bike. Here are two shots:
Fast Lady.jpg

Chas Guy Sidecar Racer.JPG

David

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Thanks David. From my investigations, and contrary to popular myth, there were at least five Vincent outfits built and raced by Malcolm Attrill that were all called "The Fast Lady". In chronological order, there seem to have been two big-wheel sitter outfits that are still being used on the road in England, a big wheel kneeler and mine (shown below) which features a 16" front wheel and 10" mini wheels on the side and rear. Images of both of these kneeler outfits can be found in the BMS book "The First Vincent Scene". The last Vincent outfit I can find that was built by Malcolm has 13" wheels all around. (see last image)

Images attached include us leaving the start line at Pukekohe Raceway after being give a one lap handicap in a five lap race. Being the passenger, I preferred to move my weight forward so Ian the driver could get the clutch fully engaged as soon as possible as the close ratio box had a high first gear. I transferred my weight to keep the revs around 5,000 -6,000 rpm. We used to have fires within the clutch housing and the Australian V3 clutch took a real hiding. Sometimes we shattered clutch plates too but this wheel-spin trick solved all of that. Around this time we had 73 rear wheel hp from Black Lightning cams, 12:1 pistons, methanol and Castrol R (just for Vibrac).

Fast Lady Pukekohe 2004.jpg

We had no real mechanical reliability issues after fitting a Terry Prince Crank and we could underpass many of the outfits using small front wheels who tended to drift wide on fast (+120 mph) corners.

Here's the image of Len Stevens beside the same Fast Lady outfit at a Curbrough sprint event sometime in the early 1970's.

Len Stevens Curbrough.jpg

Below is an image of Malcolm Attrill and passenger (Michael Coomber?) racing a later version featuring 13" wheels.

MALCOLM_ATTRILL_MICHAEL_COOMBER_1977_copy.jpg

I purchased my version of The Fast Lady from Ann Guy in 2001 in England and as you can imagine enjoyed the many pleasures of racing a Vincent engine in competition. Yes we broke the original crank-pin, seized the engine and had many other upsets too but there were many good time too, such as when we simply out-powered a much hyped 920 cc Norton outfit that was built without cost constraints. The pleasure of entering a hairpin corner and sliding through at mind popping speed, pulling so much G-force before the engine exploded in power to pull us clear will remain with me forever. For several seasons we were the top sidecar team to beat but unfortunately in 2008 we aquaplaned at around 100 mph in 3rd gear, we spun and I got thrown out to hit the steel barrier before being crushed by the outfit. Luckily I protected the outfit from any serious damage but this did cause me some issues.

The outfit now is being raced back in England by Ged Abraham who won the Avon trophy in his first year as a novice rider. I am immensely proud of his achievement and particularly satisfied that this version of The Fast Lady is still racing as Malcolm intended, many years after she was first created.

davidd

VOC Member
David,

Thank you for that great piece of history. I knew there were many "Fast Ladies" but 5 is more than I thought. Anyone who has raced knows that you are never done upgrading the bike, there is always more to do. You should be proud.

David

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Thanks for your kind words David.
I need to also add that out of all the different solo and sidecar marques I've raced, the best support I've had has been when racing Vincent-HRDs. When I first got The Fast Lady, David Bowen kindly donated many Black Lightning and other engine parts through his network and many contacts. Later, David became one of my official pit crew members and was there on the day to help scrape me off the track. Although we're only custodians of our machines, I believe our enthusiasm for the brand is our common bond.

Below is an image of my young daughter playing on her favourite garage ornament.

P1260103.JPG

Here's another early image of The Fast Lady when owned and raced by Len Stevens.

Fastlady_Len Stevens_3.jpg

The last incarnation of The Fast Lady before my incident. It's amazing what money can do!

The Fast Lady_2.jpg

Finally the end of my last ride as passenger.

Pukekohe 2008_1.jpg

The Fast Lady as purchased by Len Stevens in the early 1970's.
Attrill Vincent.jpg

Below is an image of the Daynes Fast Lady which was a big wheel kneeler built before mine. Interesting to note that sidecar racers always have the biggest smiles.
Daynes Fast Lady.jpg

Nick Cutmore riding the Fast Lady at the Brighton sprints sometime in the late 1980's
Fast Lady at Brighton.JPG

Me relaxing on the job!
Pukekohe Crash 120208.jpg

Dell Savill

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The outfit with the number 42 still attached is the one that I bought from Malcom in the seventys, each outfit that Malcom built had different shaped wheel arch fuel tank etc. I have posted on face book on several occasions photos of this chassis with the half imp engine which I was building at the time. I would like to know who is the present owner. Dell Savill.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Thanks for your kind words David.
I need to also add that out of all the different solo and sidecar marques I've raced, the best support I've had has been when racing Vincent-HRDs. When I first got The Fast Lady, David Bowen kindly donated many Black Lightning and other engine parts through his network and many contacts. Later, David became one of my official pit crew members and was there on the day to help scrape me off the track. Although we're only custodians of our machines, I believe our enthusiasm for the brand is our common bond.

Below is an image of my young daughter playing on her favourite garage ornament.

View attachment 12442

Here's another early image of The Fast Lady when owned and raced by Len Stevens.

View attachment 12444

The last incarnation of The Fast Lady before my incident. It's amazing what money can do!

View attachment 12445

Finally the end of my last ride as passenger.

View attachment 12446

The Fast Lady as purchased by Len Stevens in the early 1970's.
View attachment 12448

Below is an image of the Daynes Fast Lady which was a big wheel kneeler built before mine. Interesting to note that sidecar racers always have the biggest smiles.
View attachment 12447

Nick Cutmore riding the Fast Lady at the Brighton sprints sometime in the late 1980's
View attachment 12449

Me relaxing on the job!
View attachment 12450
David,you might like to know that the late John Hutchinson's outfit is up for auction which surprises me as I thought the family wanted to keep it.Wonderful selection of photos btw.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Hi Len. Let's hope the history of this significant Fast Lady outfit stays with this sidecar and that the buyer is a hard-driving sidecar enthusiast, just like all the other previous owners.
Sadly I'm not currently in a position to bid at this auction as John's Fast Lady is the perfect road outfit in my eyes.