Far North Queensland Cyclone Yasi

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
This is going to hit a few VOC members. Let us all hope it is not as bad as predicted i.e. Category 5 cyclone with winds up to 300 Kph (nearly 200 mph)!! and a storm surge of over 2m plus 12 m waves. That has to be BAD! If it is, then the poor bastards are in for a rough time.

Albervin

VOC Member
Can some of our Queensland friends fill us in on what is happening. I have tried to contact Bruce Hegglun without success...

deejay499

VOC Member
Alan. Just to be pedantic, Oct 16th 1987 was the date. I saw the wind meter in the power station control room go way over 100 MPH! The recorder only went up to 100 mph but the LED read out was way higher. Real scary, with complete wire reinforced glass panes dropping into the turbine hall, where we were working.

Cheers, DJ

timetraveller

VOC Member
Yes, the date is burnt into my life story as well. I had just finished making my first fibreglass dome, 21' diameter, and it had been craned into place the day before at Canterbury High School and had been officially opened by one of the Moon walking astronauts. The dome had not been fastened down or fitted with it shutters. I assumed that it would be in pieces all over the school campus but it survived intact with no damage. Local winds recorded at 103 mph!

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
We used to fly regularly from Aberdeen into Unst, northermost of the Sheltand Islands, then chopper to the rigs. (Now they chopper the whole way.) The airport buildings were all guyed down with steel ropes. The maximum recorded wind speed was 167 mph, which was where the needle stop on the anemometer was.
I once flew in in a Twin Otter, and seated at the window halfway down the cabin, found I was looking directly up the runway as we crabbed in... That was when I still believed myself to be immortal.

Alan. Just to be pedantic, Oct 16th 1987 was the date. I saw the wind meter in the power station control room go way over 100 MPH! The recorder only went up to 100 mph but the LED read out was way higher. Real scary, with complete wire reinforced glass panes dropping into the turbine hall, where we were working.

Cheers, DJ