F10AB/1A/70 Surtees/Amat machine

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When I saw it at George's in 1981 or so, the bike was completely disassembled and he had many doubtful stories, so with that being ~30 years after it went to Cuba, who knows? Amat could have swapped tanks, too.

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
It certainly does not help that George was a story-teller. There was not a chrome tank within our parts, the tanks we did have he had poorly re-sprayed at some point in time. Another grouping of parts was sold off many years ago so there is no telling what went with that sale.

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
Found an article while going through our documents again, that’s the only picture I’ve ever seen of that bike. I have good suspicion that is the bike before the frame had chrome.

Attachments

• A8087F5B-5E7C-4051-AF23-3000BFB1EC00.jpeg
    A8087F5B-5E7C-4051-AF23-3000BFB1EC00.jpeg
    479.1 KB · Views: 73

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
That could be the bike. It could be another bike. It could be the bike with different parts attached. Race machines were tossed around beat up, parts changed etc. Its all speculation, best to track down one of the Amat's and ask them questions

davidd

VOC Member
Neil Donovan, Chicago Section member, posted this photo in the latest issue of STOP. It is the Jose Amat bike as it appeared in George Emmerich's garage in 1973:

Amat Bike 1973 Emmerich Photo Donovan.PNG

It was one of the bikes Neil investigated when he sought to purchase his first Vincent.

David

Whiteshadow15

Non-VOC Member
wow, thats without a doubt it. That is what we were really wanting to find. we do have most all of that still in parts, it is interesting to see all put together.

Engine number misquoted as it certainly has the "/1A/ stamping. Thank you for sharing, I have yet to check out STOP so this is a nice surprise.

samueljohn

Active Forum User
VOC Member
The "A" in the stamping above looks to be a different font, and looks like the slash for /1/ is behind it. Simon has a better eye than I though.

G

Graham Smith

I’m guessing that the

F10AB/

were actually all on one stamp rather than individuals?

That could explain why the following characters look different?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have no concerns about this engine number and why it looks less key it does is understood. I'm not going to explain how numbers are determined to be correct or not as it will give away what I look for and what is is check against which will just help the fraudsters out there.
Simon