Exhaust Wizard needed

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Forum users who have keen eyes for Vincent anomalies in photos (that's about 98% of this forum :) ) may have noticed that the exhaust pipes on our racing twin were made of water pipe insulation where we were working out the run of the twin pipes to get ground clearance (a difficult task with 18" wheels and a ban on high level pipes).

Tim,

Is the ban on high level pipes in the Lansdowne Series, or somewhere else that I should know about? My Rudge has high level pipes and high level pipes were all the trend in the 1930s.

Regards

David

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Tim,
Have a word with Jos Den Ouden.
He has a nice 2 into 2 on his Egli that he made himself, Very nice also very slim when you look from the front.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Tim,

Is the ban on high level pipes in the Lansdowne Series, or somewhere else that I should know about? My Rudge has high level pipes and high level pipes were all the trend in the 1930s.

Regards

David
I've had a quick through the BHR machine specifications and not spotted anything mentioning high-level exhaust pipes.
For the pre-1935 Class it says," The exhaust system must comply with ACU regulations and noise controls and be in keeping with the period appearance of the machine" so your Rudge is OK.
You can view the specs at: BHR Machine Specs

vibrac

VOC Member
All previous racers were 2" but I am minded to reduce the diameter to about standard for this machine. standard pipes are a Lansdowne stipulation I doubt we will do any BHR anymore you need two bikes to make the 4 lap races worth the effort the races have so many classes nobody notices who won what class and the difference in the relative speeds of the machines in one race is let us say engaging

Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
All previous racers were 2" but I am minded to reduce the diameter to about standard for this machine. standard pipes are a Lansdowne stipulation I doubt we will do any BHR anymore you need two bikes to make the 4 lap races worth the effort the races have so many classes nobody notices who won what class and the difference in the relative speeds of the machines in one race is let us say engaging
A shame you will not be doing the BHR Vintage races. I always tried hard to keep people riding a Vincent in the entry list.
I agree that combined classes on a grid do make it difficult to follow who is in what position for a class. It is unfortunate but the most economical way of making use of available track time. At least there is still somewhere that people with bikes in a class with a very small entry can get to race.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I've had a quick through the BHR machine specifications and not spotted anything mentioning high-level exhaust pipes.
For the pre-1935 Class it says," The exhaust system must comply with ACU regulations and noise controls and be in keeping with the period appearance of the machine" so your Rudge is OK.
You can view the specs at: BHR Machine Specs
Thanks Eddy,

We are hijacking Tim's thread here. The link you gave does not work for me, but I found the specs by visiting the VMCC BHR Website.

My bike is 1938, so the Pre-1935 rules unfortunately do not apply and it seems that my Girder Fork Class has been dropped, so I will be in the Pre-1949 Class and exhausts do not get a mention, so I guess I am still OK.

The downside, and it's a big one, is I can no longer double my race entries per meeting by entering the Girder Fork Class and the Pre-1949 Class, so bothering to enter a meeting next year will be far less appealing for me. I guess BHR are not bothered about continuing the founding classes of Vintage Racing that established what they are enjoying now.

It is one hell of an expense and a lot of unpleasant travelling just for 4 rides over a weekend. If the bike fails to start, goes wrong, etc, it will be fewer rides than that. I cannot afford a second bike, or find the time and money to keep another on track, whilst having to do likewise with the Rudge.

Thanks again and cheers

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Hijacking my own thread (I think I have enough exhaust wizzards to try now)
We raced for at least 3 seasons in the pre 49 class with a high level exhaust so you are OK and we did so up untill the ACU brought in the girderfork championship and banned us because they said girdralics were not girders.
I take it from the above that the ACU girder fork class has gone (Hooray!) now perhaps a few of the pre 49 Triumphs will join in again and Vincents (But it wont be ours in any concentrated way for the reasons in previous posts) In a year or so perhaps grandson may join in if we can prize him from his X box

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Eddy,

We are hijacking Tim's thread here. The link you gave does not work for me, but I found the specs by visiting the VMCC BHR Website. (Corrected. Ed)

My bike is 1938, so the Pre-1935 rules unfortunately do not apply and it seems that my Girder Fork Class has been dropped, so I will be in the Pre-1949 Class and exhausts do not get a mention, so I guess I am still OK.

The downside, and it's a big one, is I can no longer double my race entries per meeting by entering the Girder Fork Class and the Pre-1949 Class, so bothering to enter a meeting next year will be far less appealing for me. I guess BHR are not bothered about continuing the founding classes of Vintage Racing that established what they are enjoying now.

It is one hell of an expense and a lot of unpleasant travelling just for 4 rides over a weekend. If the bike fails to start, goes wrong, etc, it will be fewer rides than that. I cannot afford a second bike, or find the time and money to keep another on track, whilst having to do likewise with the Rudge.

Thanks again and cheers

David
Dear Dave,
Sorry about the link, I have corrected it. I missed that your Rudge was 1938. I see your dilemma re getting two rides. Maybe you could enter Event 6, Solo Motorcycles 351 to 500cc to 1962 or Event 50, Riders over 50 years of age Solo Championship for an extra ride if those classes are being run at a meeting. You'd probably be riding against more modern machines but it would be more track time. Classes shown on the website are for 2019, no events are shown for 2020 but no racing anyway.
We do seem to have drifted away from the original thread title and Tim has enough exhaust wizards to try now. We can maybe start another thread in the general section if we want to continue with BHR matters. (Suggested title: "Racing a Vincent in BHR meetings".) Come on Tim get your lad to enter Event 6 or 9 when racing resumes. You know he would be competitive and probably surprise (upset?) a few riders. ;)

vibrac

VOC Member
The high level (I now know was by Paravani)
1598555123393.png

vibrac

VOC Member
We have contacted Competition Fabrications and are going there next week Thanks for your help.
What we need to sort now is two light shortish silencers to 105Db for about 1.75" pipe we have some but would like to improve a long length is not really on in terms of support we want to use the footrest plates as main anchor points also some track like Goodwood are (Horray!) silencer free.