Exhaust Wizard needed

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Forum users who have keen eyes for Vincent anomalies in photos (that's about 98% of this forum :) ) may have noticed that the exhaust pipes on our racing twin were made of water pipe insulation where we were working out the run of the twin pipes to get ground clearance (a difficult task with 18" wheels and a ban on high level pipes).
Now it seems that the prevaricating exhaust pipe man who was going to do our pipes has (pun warning) exhausted our patience . Now while we know there is no racing this season in our selected race series, we do want to get the bike to the test rollers and perhaps squeeze in a late track day before the winter closes in.
So please UK members can you suggest someone who could work the magic? around standard diameter twin pipes exit one either side made to push on to stubs with springs (already fitted) stainless or plain steel.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have used Tony Law Exhausts in Leeds (Yorkshire) for over 30 years, all hand bent in steel any size and shape you desire, I have had exhausts for my Broughs and custom bikes all made there, unfortunately his web site shows mainly car systems but he does anything, plenty of race bike systems. One time there was a 1913 Cadillac and he has a dummy engine set up for doing Ford GT40 systems, I have seen three of them there. http://www.tonylawexhausts.co.uk/ This is 1-5/8 bore pipes in one piece, not cut and shut.

Chris Launders bikes 013.jpg

Last edited:

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Competition fabrications in Attleborough, near snetterton made the system for my norvin. Excellent fit and finish. Good price too.

vibrac

VOC Member
Roy is that the same outfit that years ago was run by a guy with an Italian name? I am sure he retired years ago he was very good I know I left my Egli there in a very run down industrial estate and had kittens for a week I know he was unreachable 10 years ago so crossed him off the list. interesting

brian gains

VOC Member
did the same Q not come up in the last month?.
i'll give the same answer'
Dave Batchelar at P&D near Slinfold in West Sussex, welds everything from the crack of dawn to razor blades and has an eye for detail.
Raysons have excellent reputation and I believe evolved from Unity Equipe , up in Rochdale,

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
Raysons exhausts near Preston look pretty good, some of the racers done have been Classic TT bikes. Alldens near Cadwell have had a few Vincents/outfits and they're work seems very good. NRP near Nottingham have been around for a while but not sure if they are still going. I will be using one of the three above in the next few years

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
Roy is that the same outfit that years ago was run by a guy with an Italian name? I am sure he retired years ago he was very good I know I left my Egli there in a very run down industrial estate and had kittens for a week I know he was unreachable 10 years ago so crossed him off the list. interesting
What size pipe are you going for Vibrac? I'm using 1.75" 2 into 1 with a muffler, but it comes down to ground clearance so may go 2 into 2 like yourself

vibrac

VOC Member
I have always had 2" on the racers but current thinking is that more towards standard is best the stub pipes are standard

Herman-Handlebars

Non-VOC Member
I have always had 2" on the racers but current thinking is that more towards standard is best the stub pipes are standard
I'd noticed you have had separated pipes on the egli and current twin. Is this for power or ground clearance? Mine is going to be along the lines of the Irving goodwood rapide I think for ground clearance and a nod to the original look. I'm not sure which would aid gas flow/improve power