exhaust valve lifter comet 50

karl johnson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
hello and can i have come advice please and i am new to my comet workings and the club as a matter of fact. ille do my best to keep it short. i want to change my valve lifter cable on my comet as the aduster is pretty much at the top. in reference to the harpers handbook...when i take off the slotted cable abutment and try to pull back the sleeve to get to the cable nipple,the sleeve acts to be spring loaded as it catapults back innward toward the timing chest, does the timing side have to come off is there more to it?
also when the lifter is releasing compression on cold.....on a hot start does the adjustment shift because of engine expansion as the lifter does not work untill i tighten the cable a little further hence now i am at the top of the adjuster?. the lifter lever looks the goldie type and not the vinnie. am i getting the leveridge? is it possible to over adjust and burn it out? any education will be greatly appreciated i have consulted the know thy beast and the richardson book they are advanced for me all i have is the harpers... best regards karl

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Karl,The sleeve should just slide off along the cable , Maybe the rubber seals are tight, Or there is a dent in the tube, You want as much slack in the cable as you can, Maybe try another lever, Or a coller on your old cable, Like what is on the throttle, Cheers Bill.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Karl,

As usual, Bill is right. Also, someone may have filled the sleeve with silicone sealant in a desperate attempt to stop oil leaking from there! Try rotating it back and forth half a turn while pulling it away from the timing chest. A thin screwdriver at the inner edge might help getting it moving too.

Bill's point about needing as much slack in the cable as possible is spot on too. This applies to your final setting-up and adjustment. The compression should not release until the lever is just about at "full pull". On a std Vincent lever this means just before it touches the handlebar. Too long a pull can wreak havoc in the timing chest…

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame.

karl johnson

VOC Member
many thanks guys ive got it off.. and yes some sticky gunk was inside the sleeve so if it leaks on assembly i know.... ille order a new cable and lever and set it up as you wrote peter.. as for the re-adjust on hot starting still baffles a bit maybe its one of them british things about them cheers anyway