Exhaust Port Washers

Shanghai

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The VOC Spares Co. lists 1) Exhaust Port Washer Fibre and 2) Exhaust Port Washer Copper Composite.
What are the pros and cons for both?
(For a twin)

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
My opinion is that they are both equally good, neither needs to be over-tightened, neither should be re-used.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, Have had copper composite washers that I could not keep tight.Changed for fibre cured the problem. John.

jim burgess

VOC Member
Used fibre washers which would periodically blow out, ie. part of the ring would vanish... Started using copper composites which were fine. Unfortunately the only ones I can get now have a thinner section, so I started fit two each time.
Jim Burgess

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I too had issues with the original exhaust gasket PT5 (spares drawing M035) from the Spares Co. which is very flimsy. In its place I use a Yamaha gasket, Yamaha part # 3VD-14613-01 which, while requiring a small amount of fettling, I think does a much better job.

Martyn

Rob H

VOC Member
One thing to check is that the flange on the pipe is parallel to the head mating surface when fully installed on the fixings. mine is not on the front and I had a lot of problems with poor sealing. Ended up using two copper washers to take up the difference

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
On exhaust port thread life and lubrication . We always use a light smear of HMP grease , my choice is Disc brake type wheel bearing grease . Absolutely immune to heat . Never had the threads wear noticeably in a head . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk