Exhaust port thread repair

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
if the thread is gone a bronze insert is the best solution I came by. if you still have some thread in your port it may well be worth cecking the exhaust nut. from all the various projects from my brother and my own I have a selection of maybe 7 nuts, 3 of them are useless as the diameter is notably smaller than on the new ones and they are slightly tapered as well. one port which I thought needed repair is perfectly ok when used with a new nut.
just my 2 pennies worth
Bernd

Ray Bear

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks to all that responded to my query & my 48 does have the thin wall ports so was a little concerned to sleeve , anyway have repaired to what I hope will be satifactory by machining a slight taper from a piece of steel stock & pressing it all the way through the exhaust nut while applying heat so as not to end up with a tapered thread & stretched the nut to a fractional over size & worked it in & out of the remaining thread until it tapped a new oversize thread . I assume they damage their own thread by coming loose & am wondering if a lock tab from a norton commando would not be a good idea as they can be installed with out being visible ..Was tempted to use a commando nut as they are just the right oversize & fit the pipe & have a coarse thread but I am a bit of a purist but maybe others have done it & I would be interested to hear Thanks for all the good help...Bill