Exhaust Pipe Flange

lomaxjohn

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi

Many thanks to all who replied to my call for help. I now have access to the tool

Can any one loan me the clamping tool so that I can flange my 1 5/8 pipes? (a 1 5/8 bore is far too big for me to create)

Happy to pay for postage costs

Regards John

Last edited:

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Exhaust flange

John,
I have the tool that you want!, and live only a few miles from you in Southport. Please give me a ring on my mobile to make arrangements for pick up. Derek mobile 07900 531 130:)

Phil Arundel

VOC Member
Hi Derek,
I am building a Rapide and have just ordered the exhaust pipes which of course are not flanged.
I understand from a post that you have a flanging tool and was wondering if you would kindly lend me it?
I live near York so would pay any postage.
My mobile is 07778352370 if you wish to call me.
I have been a Vincent owners club member for many years.
Hope I have not been too cheeky in contacting you.
Kind regards,
Phil Arundel

vibrac

VOC Member
Another job where a lathe is you friend
I had a lump of rough alloy round,about two inches long .
bore a hole to fit the exhaust pipe saw it in half mount in vice with say 1/8-3/16 of pipe sticking up get it good and hot then I use a ball peine hammer to open up end and flatten out. when cool trim up edges to nest in the nut-job done
BUT dont foget to put the nut on first on the long pipe:eek:

oexing

VOC Member
Phil, you could try a BMW type seal on a Vincent pipe, no flange on these at all, just the plain pipe. The finned ex nut presses on two sealing rings, one is a turned ring with internal 45 degree chamfer, one is with external chamfer and slotted. So when the nut presses on the seal set the pipe gets clamped and sealed well enough for sufficient tightness. Nobody on here has mentioned troubles on BMWs and I know quite some Vincenteers having BMWs at home. So why not try same idea on a Vincent - when you got a lathe at home ?

Vic
BMW ex seal no. 1

BMW seal no. 2

Cyborg

VOC Member
Phil, you could try a BMW type seal on a Vincent pipe, no flange on these at all, just the plain pipe. The finned ex nut presses on two sealing rings, one is a turned ring with internal 45 degree chamfer, one is with external chamfer and slotted. So when the nut presses on the seal set the pipe gets clamped and sealed well enough for sufficient tightness. Nobody on here has mentioned troubles on BMWs and I know quite some Vincenteers having BMWs at home. So why not try same idea on a Vincent - when you got a lathe at home ?

Vic
BMW ex seal no. 1

BMW seal no. 2
Interesting concept. I do wonder why other manufacturers haven’t used it. Is there enough room to use that setup in a stock Vincent head? The exhaust port will accommodate an OD of 1.80” and the pipe ( in a perfect world) is 1.625”, so 0.175” to play with. Is that enough room? Do you know what the dimensions are for the BMW one? Also… the Vincent exhaust flange nuts need all the thread engagement they can get, so thickness of the rings would be a factor too.

oexing

VOC Member
The /5 or /6 series BMWs had 38mm pipes, Earles are 36mm , all with these chamfered rings, no seals, with the classic twins from 50ies to 60ies only the "sports" types, like R 68 and R 69S had them. The touring types like R 50 or R 60 and all singles had copper seals and steel nuts for pipe seals, so decades of tested design.
Yes, cross section of that sort of rings will be not big on a Vincent head. But I can imagine a small slotted chamfer ring on the pipe might work, alternatively the corresponding chamfer ring replaced by turning the chamfer on the front face of the nut to clamp the lot onto the pipe in the recess. I´d certainly want some other clamps for fixing the pipes onto the engine, at the magneto cover bottom/side stand or so. No good idea to leave any chance for the ex system to rattle into destruction. Well, only saying in case a Vincent does produce bad vibrations , I cannot tell as no operative Vincent yet on the road for knowing . . .

Vic

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
The later BMWs also have the chamfered rings with aluminum nuts. I have an '82 RS with that setup. It's "standard" procedure for these bikes to remove the nuts once a year and re-lubricate the threads. That's probably more frequent than needed but easily accomplished, unless it's never been done and the nuts are frozen on. I worked in a BMW shop many moons ago and had lots of experience with frozen ex threads. Sometimes, the only solution (after trying heat, penetrating oil etc.) is to carefully split the nuts without cutting into the threads on the head.

One important difference between the BMW setup and the Vincent's is that on the BMW the pipes are a very close fit into the exhaust ports and push in quite far. Sealing is hardly the problem with them. I think the function of the chamfered rings is more to clamp the pipes in place.

oexing

VOC Member
Yes, clamping the BMW pipes is main job, but sealing as well. The close fit way down the head is for one good reason, the pipe has to shield the head from exhaust gases for keeping it cool. So no excessive contact of pipe to head is wanted, a bit more clearance would be even better. What sort of lube was common in BMW workshops you had seen ? I do have MoS2 paste on all alu threads and on all stainless, spark plugs too. Unless Loctite has to be for securing screws. So with solid content grease no extra service on the alu threads should be necessary, does not burn off.

Vic