Exhaust Components

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Eddy. What did the scale go up to? I was told my Comet was off the scale at Cadwell once. I remember it being 140 dBA, but I'm sure this must be wrong.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
You would have to go VERY NOISY to do that as the scale is logarithmic each point is 10 times greater than the one before....

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Howard,
It was some time ago now and I think that the meter I used at the time had a knob to set the range you wanted to measure. The "limit" at the time was 115dB so I probably had the scale set to 115-120dB. I expect that with all the advances in electronics the modern meters are possibly auto-ranging. I think it was probably over 120 dB. There were some very noisy exhausts in the early days of race noise regulation.
A personal comment on noise is that an engine working hard on an open megaphone is still a sound that to me still brings back memories of Manx Norton's etc onthe mountain in the Isle of Man. (Happy days. Happy but hard of hearing!) Unfortunately too much noise was going to lose us the use of short circuits especially at places like Mallory Park where parts of the circuit were only 100 yards or so away from some of the houses in the village.
Hi Eddy. What did the scale go up to? I was told my Comet was off the scale at Cadwell once. I remember it being 140 dBA, but I'm sure this must be wrong.

H

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
You would have to go VERY NOISY to do that as the scale is logarithmic each point is 10 times greater than the one before....

That's what I've discovered over the years, and why I just queried it. The meter was probably calibrated up to 120 dBA as Eddy suggests, but even that was loud. I could never understand why my Comet seemed to make more noise than most other 500 singles.

H

vibrac

VOC Member
Best noise was two Manx Norton's on open megga accelerating away together and the sound waves would interact with each other to give an interference pattern in sound-wonderful.
Nosiest bike when I was racing a TSS 125 Bultaco to good results when mid season Paul Smart and other affluent people turned up with CR93 Honda's with long meggas and blew everyones eardrums and me and Fred launchberry off any chance of winning anything.
Of course the real question is, how come racing cars get away with it?

Howard

VOC Member
Best noise was two Manx Norton's on open megga accelerating away together and the sound waves would interact with each other to give an interference pattern in sound-wonderful.

Agreed. The Triumph/BSA triples were also good to listen to, in a more refined note.

H

nkt267

VOC Member
Agreed. The Triumph/BSA triples were also good to listen to, in a more refined note.
Sounded even better when it was ridden by John Cooper in front of the MV ridden by Agostini at Mallory Park:D:D..John

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid . I recall the sounds of two Italian fours , senior MV and GIlera accelerating side by side from a tight corner as they went through the gears side by side pulling full bore . The phrasing in and out as the exhausts spoke back and forth gear after gear was soul enrichening , a totally awesome warble . A motor opera moment . Have it on tape somewhere , Ken Petteford sent it to me .
God rest his soul .
My Rattler on 2 inch pipes pulling through the gears was sensational too . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Also had the sound of the Guzzi v eight at full cry , like a jet fighter plane passing overhear , a pure scream wrenched from the gut . Sid .

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Greg, Would that seat be a way of making yours quicker down the straights !!, God knows what you would do, When you got to a bend !!. Have Fun, Bill.