E: Engine Exhaust butterfly valve?

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To prevent boredom during lockdown, I've been doing jobs on the Comet that needed doing and some that didn't need doing, including fitting some bits I removed from the Egli when I detuned it, including Mk2 cams, which we all know won't work right with a silencer. Unfortunately, the straight through silencer I fitted is a tad on the loud side.
Before I start reinventing the wheel, has anyone fitted a butterfly valve to deaden the exhaust note - it might come in handy when passing horses in Peak District lanes.
The previous exhaust was pretty loud, and the bike backfired when shutdown, which left me with 2 wrong choices when I saw animals on or near the road.

H

erik

VOC Member
backfire or detonation is when there is an air leak in the exhaust system.I would check the connection in the cylinder head first.Erik

vibrac

VOC Member
I did this many years ago
no mater how I arranged it the gas flow would open it or sometimes even close it at the most inopertune moments. It would work the cable and the choke lever I employed unless it was too tight to move.

A rotating barrel with matching holes would be a way to try
when I had a AJS 7R on the road (What a great year that was!) I would stick a foot over the exhaust pipe end if I wanted a bit of quiet (just as I was coming home late with my push bike lights) a long stretch but I was young but the boot got hot!

Oldhaven

VOC Member
In my youth they were called Snuff or Nots, and were made by Pacifico. My best friend from high school and college used them on his open piped Honda 305 scrambler that I would borrow to see my girl friend in the next town. I think you would need the S-50 size, but they are nearly as vintage as me and our Vincents. They are not remotely controlled though.

2A5F3631-8EE2-4B16-9F0A-1B350C441CD5.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I just found a parts diagram. The clever cupped washer and spring was what kept it in position at 90 degrees. Perhaps this can be used remotely if you want to make your own.

B048B647-28ED-4B14-BC0D-1784ED4B7C81.jpeg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't think there is any point, My BMW K100 made no noise, Only a whine, And it still spooked them.