Ewarts fuel taps.

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Got my taps back from Prestige Plating at the weekend. Problem is that the filters have basically disintegrated. Is there another filter on the market that I could fix to the top? Were these soldered on in the first place?
Suppose the easiest option would be an inline filter?

Any thoughts / advice?

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Ewart taps

The filters are brass, soldered.
An in-line filter is by far the easiest way, but not pretty. My twin has had in-line ball valves intended for natural gas, and no filters, for two or three years. However I lined the tank with a product I bought from Frosts called something like K9P. It gives a finish that looks like silver Hammerite, and makes it easy to see inside the tank. My experience is that it is best to leave the tap holes open (ignoring the instructions...) to avoid a pool of liner there, then clean the thread out with a tap once it has set.
Something else that works is to push a bit of tube into the tap body so that there is always 1/2" of fuel left in the tank where nasties can lurk but not escape via your carburettor.

donrapide

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You can make the filters out of mesh/gauze, like a cigarette shape. It's a little tricky because you have to solder along the tube then solder the end by making it into a X shape.

I used a pencil as a former and made a ring of solder around the lower end to enable the filter to fit into the tap. My taps had an internal, very fine, thread and the filter just wriggles in to the tap.

I do have a small piece of filter material if you require some.

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
You can make the filters out of mesh/gauze, like a cigarette shape. It's a little tricky because you have to solder along the tube then solder the end by making it into a X shape.

I used a pencil as a former and made a ring of solder around the lower end to enable the filter to fit into the tap. My taps had an internal, very fine, thread and the filter just wriggles in to the tap.

I do have a small piece of filter material if you require some.

Don,
Thanks for the reply and the offer. Can you remember where you bought the filter material from?

donrapide

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Re: Filter material, I bought it at one of the Steam and Vintage events at the Lincolnshire Showground, so no repeat purchase there. I can send enough by post if you pm me.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Fine brass mesh

Mark,

I beleive there is the big model engineering exhibition coming up at Ally Pally in a month or so...

Neil

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Ewart taps

There's information in KTB on this, and this months VMCC Journal has a two-page article. One tip not given is to use corks from SPARKLING wine bottles, because the cork is very much denser than normal. If you needed an excuse to buy a bottle of Veuve Cliquot, you've got it.
I gave up on Ewart taps having refurbished them several times with no success, in favour of mini-ball valve (natural) gas taps from Plumb World, at a bargain £4 each. End of leaky taps saga...
Glad this came up , I need to sort out a few Ewarts taps.