Everything on it is black lighning original parts except

A-BCD

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
How can you have a genuine Black Lightning speedo, headlamp and rear number plate ??!!\ Not sure if any were supplied with black mudguards ?

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Well, my first impression is I don't believe it! The Burn's and Wright Lightning is all original with it's cases intact in Southern California and in running condition. I just forwarded this video to Marty Dickerson to see if he knows anything of it.....:confused:
Cheers, John

Just got this back from Marty: [I[SIZE=3[I]]]"I think that is one of Herb Harris' creations. He was advertising new Lightnings from genuine parts."[/[/SIZE]I][/I]That magneto looks a lot like a generic KVF to me. I'm pretty sure the owner is in Colorado and in the VOC, Maybe he'd like to clarify his statement?
Cheers, John

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Here is an article on the same bike as in the video in the first post. I think the owner is saying this bike was built using the crank that was taken out of the Burns and Wright bike in between setting the world record and going to Bonneville.

Isn't the front brake cable going to the wrong side of the balance beam?

Article

vincenttwin

VOC Member
That bike is here in Denver ,Gene is not a rider,but loves to show the bike at shows and soon will wear all the paint off by polishing it. It was at the VOC rally we put on up in Central City Colorado 4 years ago. Built up from parts
Herb had. not a factory Lighting , but yes it is a Herb Harris Lighting.

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I think that's the way it was designed, early B's had the brake cable that side - if you look at the balance beam the r/h side is lower, so was designed to lift when the brake is applied ?

Albervin

VOC Member
Just posted a very unambiguous comment on the video because I am tired, grumpy and had a gut full of Herb Harris charging $$$$$$s for stuff made in his shed to fund his lifestyle. Rant may be over but don't bet on it. :-(

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Didn't his website originally say that the Lightning parts would only be sold to existing genuine Lightning owners to help in their restorations, and not to people that would use them to build replicas?