European roadworthiness proposal

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
and page 10 para 9

"considered to be hardly used on public roads"

thats us boys and girls Vincents should only be allowed out on special occasions...

look in my thread on the eight september about this piece of EU manovering called "the sting in the tail" find the link and sign the petition

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Given that this proposal is aimed at reducing european road fatallities to near zero over the next 38 years, by improving the roadworthiness of vehicles, the fact that only 2000 of the 35000 fatalities in 2010 were caused by a lack of roadworthiness ( page 8), means that there will have to be some fairly drastic improvements elseware, road repairs and better surfaces maybe, sorry forgot bad roads means we are going slower when we crash.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes safety is always the best the cover story
The real story is desperate motor manufactures trying to sell more plastic boxes and boost their profits and the economy (remember the car scrappage scheme) the last thing they want is a long life car (or motorcycle) the thought of any vehicle still being a valid transport system 70 years on is an anathema to them.
also desperate governments want more and more electronic control of our movements and actions.they cant do that on a 6volt Miller.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Look at page 14 definition 7:

(7) ‘vehicle of historic interest’ means any vehicle which fulfils all the following
conditions :
– It was manufactured at least 30 years ago,
– It is maintained by use of replacement parts which reproduce the historic
components of the vehicle;
– It has not sustained any change in the technical characteristics of its main
components such as engine, brakes, steering or suspension and
– It has not been changed in its appearance;

Looks like twin leading shoe brakes, 8" brakes or disc brakes which some would argue are better and so safer brakes than the originals whould be banned in the above description. Also 600cc Comets would be out, and what about rear carrier frames which support the rear of the seat. Is that a suspension modification or change in appearance. As for Norvins or 12v lighting etc......
Very scary as the type of people who push these legislations through don't listen to reason or have any common sense.

Simon.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
8259 signatures to date. There must be many, many times that number who have a direct interest (either business or pleasure) in old vehicles. It amazes me how we sleep walk into legislation in this country. Why aren't clubs getting together to encourage members to sign up to this? Why aren't UK mags like Classic Bike promoting this to their readership? Rick Partington won't have much left to 'fettle' if this kind of ridiculous law is passed, and I assume the Triton Owners Club will simply disband.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry for being Thick, I tried to do the petition, But it says I have not filled in the ( captcha ) What the Hell is that !! Can anyone guide me, Cheers Bill.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
The Captcha is the odd looking collection of letters and numbers at the bottom of the form, you have to type in what you see,if you cant see it you can click refresh to give a different set of letters etc, it proves you are a human not a machine apparently.