European roadworthiness proposal

Ducdude

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I hate this crap and I live in the USA....Perhaps the EU should just be let to fall apart. It seems very restrictive and quite silly. It also seems that you lot are buggerd..

Ciao
Eric

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I assume that there is some kind of regular road worthyness test for vehicles in the US, in the UK all motor vehicles over 3 years old have to have an annual test.
Cars are tested for emissions, where motorcycles are not, as standards are changed they are not applied retrospectivly, so a 1960's Mini is expected to not belch out clouds of smoke, but wouldn't be required to achieve the CO2 emmisions of a 2009 Mini, the same applys to braking standards etc.
Most people are happy enough with the system although it can be a bit of a chore (Vibrac will have an opinion) but there is no restriction on the use of old vehicles or modifications, as long as you stay within the general rules, so you can fit disc brakes to your Bantam but fitting Bantam brakes to you R1 would be a no no.
Recently the UK govt decided to remove the need for the annual test (MOT) from all vehicles manufactured before 1966 and there has been some debate about this on the forum, some of us felt that it took us out of the mainstream and could lead to restrictions on where and when you could use the vehicle, the govt is now saying that you can still have a test but it wont be mandatory.
Most of the stuff in the Euro proposal is no different to the standards currently applied in the UK, however the proposal to class old vehicles, 30 years is only 1982, as a special case is the worry, especially if they cant be modified from standard.
I believe that in some Euro countries there are already restrictions on the use of older vehicles,but I'm not sure where or what the age threshhold is.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I assume that there is some kind of regular road worthyness test for vehicles in the US,.

That varies from state to state. There is no vehicle inspection in Illinois or Minnesota, where I have lived. Some of the big cities have emissions testing, but that has been phased out in Minneapolis, apparently because as the old cars were scrapped, the cars tested all passed or near enough.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Michigan doesn't have any testing either. We did have emissions testing at one point for the three counties surrounding Detroit but that was challenged and defeated as being unfair as it didn't cover the entire state. What bothers me is this stuff gets enacted in the EU, the UK is obliged because of treaties to comply and then someone in California thinks it's a great idea and they begin to formulate something similar. Then before we know it someone on the federal level thinks it's brilliant and we have a bunch of new laws!
Personally I think if you don't keep your vehicle in roadworthy shape, you are an irresponsible moron! You should not need big brother looking over your shoulder to it. Because not only is your butt on the line, and you might be the only viable bread winner your house with dependents, but the lives of your dependents might be on the line. Add to that other road users are depending on you to have a safe vehicle. So if you have an accident and you are at fault and that fault is determined to be an unsafe vehicle then it is no longer an accident it has become an "intentional" and the penalties should be adjusted accordingly. Furthermore I don't see a anything wrong with upgrading in the name of reliability or safety. I would argue that at the time of manufacture that my Black Shadow had the finest available brakes, electrical equipment, and fuel delivery system available, and in keeping with the intention of manufacture and spirit of the period my Black Shadow should be fitted with the finest currently available brakes, electrical equipment, and fuel delivery system now available. Should it tested by modern standards? Has it's date of manufacture changed to a more recent date? Of course it hasn't but it's more likely to be safer vehicle, a more reliable vehicle, and a more reliable vehicle is a safer vehicle.
Anyway that's my little rant. Hope I haven't offended anyone as that wasn't my intention. Have good ride and a safe ride.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
You should not need big brother looking over your shoulder to it. Steven

Ah Steven when did common sense have anything to do with legislation
they only brought in the helmet law when 90% of riders used them.
All they want is a passive population all in controlable vehicles (preferably driven automatically with insurance sponsored survalence cameras) so that profit from making selling and scrapping the plastic boxes can be maximised and riding a push bike in Center parks will be as exciting as it gets

vince998

VOC Member
If Germany is anything to go by, the testers really do not know what they are looking at most of the time.
My D is registered under a H number plate (which is required to attain any kind of fixed value from the insurance) and is only awarded to a vehicle if it reflects the condition at time of manufacture. Period extras and tuning/mods are allowed if approved by the manufacturer at the time, but who is still in possesion of this kind of knowledge.(testers i mean)
On the down side, if you are involved in an accident, and the insurance company can prove that any mods on the vehicle are non period, they are automatically noted as being part of the cause of the accident and then starts the really expensive bit. You have to prove otherwise!!!!