European Fuel cards

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I am sure that anyone, from the UK, who has travelled in Europe at the weekend will have come across the problem of unmanned petrol stations not accepting British credit cards.

Has anyone found a solution to this ? Lurking around until an unsuspecting local gets their card out and then pouncing with a handful of Euros seems to work but is not really satisfactory.

Initially a card that works in France would suffice, but one that works across Europe would be great. Perhaps this is too much to ask?

Pete

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Fuel Cards

Hi Pete,

Debit cards will work OK:D
You can get a card from the Post Office, that you can put an ammount of credit onto, and use that OK:cool:

Cheers
Neil

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Cards

Neil
What type of debit card are you using? My Visa debit doesn't seem to work in the unattended pumps although it works in most shops. Tell me more about the post office card. Is it Visa or Mastercard or what?

Pete

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Cards

Hi Pete,
When we were in Holland, I used my HSBC Maestro (Debit) card with no problems.
The card mentioned by John (NKT267) was the one I was thinking about.

The only problem is in France which has a different Chip and Pin system to the rest of the world. :mad:
Their's was first, but everyone else decided on a different standard. I beleive the chip contacts are in a different place.

Neil

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Small Print

:mad:

It looks good but when you read the small print you find .....

9. Restricted Transactions
9.1 The card can be used for card purchases and cash withdrawals wherever Visa Electron cards are accepted, including ATMs displaying the Visa symbol. However, you are not permitted to use the card for any of the following types of transaction:

• To pay for fuel in an automated terminal but you can use the card to pay for fuel by presenting the card in a service station