Ethanol in Petrol

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I may be wrong but I can only say the first word that came to my mind on hearing about the large fires that accompanied the horrendous pile up on the M5 last night was the words above

Alan J

VOC Member
I reckon "tailgating" causes most accidents on motorways!-I am surprised there are not more fires, a petrol tank is a bomb! Was it the American Ford Edsil [not sure of the spelling] that caused a lot of fires?

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
aCTUALLY IT WAS Edsel, Henrys son. Ford are (in)famous for fires. I doubt very much one of these survived long enough to contribute to the recent terrible outcome on the m5 yesterday.

John Cone

VOC Member
Looking at the photos on tv this morning, 2 of the trucks involved had refridgerated trailers, these carry thier fuel underneath the trailer to power the fridge. The side guards are only strong enough to prevent a cyclist from going under and not a car to rip the tank off.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Ford Pinto from the '70's.

I reckon "tailgating" causes most accidents on motorways!-I am surprised there are not more fires, a petrol tank is a bomb! Was it the American Ford Edsil [not sure of the spelling] that caused a lot of fires?

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Ethanol, or as a friend of mine refers to it as Deathanol, is lethal. Not only because of the corrosive effects on fuel tanks, fuel lines, seals and O rings etc., causing fires or sudden fuel blockage in the fast lane but also because of deforestation and the conversion of the vast tracts of land to produce fuel instead of food crops whilst great numbers of the world’s population are facing starvation. So much for the Green agenda.

Albervin

VOC Member
Yup, a friend in The Netherlands sued after his Pinto had a "light" rear ender and it nearly ended in tears.

Albervin

VOC Member
The ignition temp of petrol is nearly 100ºC lower than ethanol. The air fuel ratio (stoichiometric ratio) for ethanol is twice that of petrol. In a crash of such destruction that occurred in the UK last week those facts really don't amount to a bucket of beans.

Alan J

VOC Member
The ignition temp of petrol is nearly 100ºC lower than ethanol. The air fuel ratio (stoichiometric ratio) for ethanol is twice that of petrol. In a crash of such destruction that occurred in the UK last week those facts really don't amount to a bucket of beans.
What sort of "beans?" Albervin?