Ethanol in Petrol

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I only dimly discern what Albervin is talking about. The flashpoint of ethanol is 100 degrees higher than the flashpoint of petrol? Yes? So is the flashpoint of diesel lower than the flash point of diesel plus ethanol? I confess I am not an engineer. I have no training as an engineer. I have had no apprenticeship as an engineer. I have never worked in any trade allied to engineering. I am an actor. Yes, that’s right, a lovey . But I have managed to keep my Rapide and Comet on the rode for the last forty years. In fact for the first twelve years in theatre my Rapide was my only means of transport as I did not have a car license. Let us have a little less of the ‘holier than thou' attitude that is pervading the forum from the professionals. The Vincent was originally sold to the general public, which included Sir Ralph Richardson, Phillip Madoc and even George Formby.

Phillip Madoc ? ‘Your name vill also go on ze list’.

Last edited:

John Cone

VOC Member
For diesel to ignite it has to be atomised. a diesel engine is known in the trade as a compression ignition engine. Air is drawn into the cylinder and compressed, at the point of ignition the temp of the compressed air is in the region of 600 degrees. Hot enough to ignite to atomised fuel as it is injected into the cylinder.

vince998

VOC Member
For diesel to ignite it has to be atomised. a diesel engine is known in the trade as a compression ignition engine. Air is drawn into the cylinder and compressed, at the point of ignition the temp of the compressed air is in the region of 600 degrees. Hot enough to ignite to atomised fuel as it is injected into the cylinder.

Bunging a bucket of it onto a 2 hour old, well fed fire for the section BBQ while doing the dance of the flaming a++hole ignites it to!!!!.