ET: Engine (Twin) ET38 Valve Circlip Install Tool, Collet Types and Pushrod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not done it for a long time, But I think when the collets are out ,
The top alloy end cup and spring will pass over the clip ?,
So you only need the clip off to drop the valve out,
Cheers Bill.

oexing

VOC Member
The wire circlip does not pass through the upper guide. Also the wire does not pass through the hardened big washer (sorry no part number) upon which the rocker acts. So a mess to take it out, with a pointy scriber or so.

Vic

greg brillus

VOC Member
They are actually not that bad...... They do look flimsy, but I've never seen or had one fail. I guess looking at most all other valve collets, Vic is correct, but since when is a Vincent similar to other engines........In short they are not.........they have peculiarities that are in my opinion completely different to anyhting else........It is one of the main draw cards as to why we like them. It does seem a practical aproach to alter and modify everything, to make improvements as you go, but unless you are a machinist like Vic, the trouble and cost are simply not worth it........These bikes have and will be around beyond any of us, most all in their original state of design.......So they can't be that bad.........Just keep enjoying them while you can.

Flo

VOC Member
When I was young I travelled Europe on a Ducati M3 Desmo to the tone of 200,000 km. When put together properly those need very little maintenance. Just rather frequent oil changes.

AND no the aluminium valve spring abutment (end cup if you so will) does not slip over the ciirclip - at least not in the heads done for me by Furness & Searle in 77.

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
I have never said these wire circlips were unsafe. Just I have still not learned about why they came upon this idea, why not have contemporary split collets available at the time. I only see the extra complication when doing any valve work. For ease of spannering on these engines and future - well how long will we ride them - spares production it could be nice to have a simpler more practical design with common collets with valves and cups to go with them.
But yes, not my concern, just another feature on classics that I find puzzling and somewhat amusing why on earth they designed things like they did , for no obvious reason unless to be different from other designs. Unfortunately this attitude of designers produced all sorts of troubles in the long run when not learning from experiences by studying other bikes.
A forum like here is so very helpful for getting to know about what can go wrong with particular bikes so one can think about improvements while bike rebuilding is going on . In this respect the MPH is of very limited use by capacity and slow communication. So I do enjoy the forum for all sorts of discussions , the MPH I could skip, got some more monthlies to read on the loo.

Vic

Robert Watson

VOC Member
You can open up the hole in the upper spring cap just whisker so that they do fit over the installed wire circlip. There is no adverse effect from this. most bikes local to Vancouver have been amended this way and run for hundreds of thousands of miles by the like of myself, Smith, Cording and every engine John McDougal built!

oexing

VOC Member
Should be standard, no ? It would be a PITA to remove the wire circlip while the valve spring plus cup are compressed to take out the collet and the wire as well ? Confirms my verdict that this idea was b.s. , not overly practical.

Vic

delboy

VOC Member
As designed, the circlip should just pass through the cap when fitted to the valve stem.
I have come across many modern replacements over the years that didn't.
As Robert says, easing the hole has no detrimental effect.
Tuning for speed shows the JAP and Vincent set-up and Motor Cycling of 1944 shows it being JAP.
Looks like PEI "nicked" it from JAP to suit his needs.
9 out of 10 cats find it works perfectly well.
The other cat bought a Honda.
Regards,
Delboy.

oexing

VOC Member
As written in history books Phil Vincent was less than impressed with JAP engines so he decided to build his own. Maybe he should have looked into some more other engines to get lots of ideas that work plus are practical. Still believe that this JAP idea was not the most brilliant to keep to for his engines for no obvious benefits.

Vic

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
It's been a few years since I fixed that generator. I now remember that I had found the reason the collets fell out. When I started the engine, it raced to some insane RPM. The governor was stuck. So it had probably over-revved, floated the valves and lost the collets. So not the collets' fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.