E: Engine ET162 dimensions

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you set up the plunger spring pressure as you go, it wont be necessary......Set the gearbox up so it shifts nicely through the gears without excessive force on the gearshift lever. I had to do one the other day, it took so much effort to change gears I thought I was going to break the lever off.......Just squeeze a new plunger spring in the vice till it's coil bound, this will shorten it by about 2 mm, and that is all you generally need to do.

davidd

VOC Member
Just squeeze a new plunger spring in the vice till it's coil bound, this will shorten it by about 2 mm

Greg has mentioned this a few times and it is an industry practice with many coil compression springs. New compression springs have to be "set." This means that the spring has to be compressed to coil bind at least once before it is installed. Many springs have to be set for them to be the proper length as they are built with some extra length that will disappear once set. The setting of the spring will often put the spring at the original height as specified in the drawing.

It is difficult to know if a spring should be set, but generally, it is a good idea because the manufacturer will not do it. It is often impossible to set the spring without it being mounted like a suspension spring as an example. Some springs are small and hard to set without making tooling. Setting a spring is a necessary thing, particularly when someone like Greg has found it to be necessary.

David

oexing

VOC Member
You can also go the other way when wanting more preload from springs: Just stretch them a lot to your liking. I make most lighter springs myself as hunting for suitable types takes a lot more time than do it at home. For compression springs I just wind them on the lathe, minimum speed, all like tension springs, windings all at no gaps. Only after having a decent length of windings I stretch them for "compression" springs and do nice ends. Well, I do all springs in stainless spring steel which are a bit softer and don´t break ( kickstart spring ???) .

Vic
P1070815.JPG

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Actually the seal did sort of look ok, but didn’t consider using it. The chain wheel has been sitting for probably 40 years. Ordered a new one. Even took a chance and ordered new bushings for both sides. Hopefully they are a good fit.
Don't forget to change the oil seal in the chainwheel,
I took a chance last time !!, Another Huge Mistake !, They sometimes look OK , But go hard,
And then fail. Cheers Bill.
Hard you say....

145C90DD-05C5-4411-BFA0-D1551051EC5D.jpeg