E: Engine ET162 dimensions

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
McMaster Carr sent me a shipment (Screws for the Rudge primary case!) about a year ago, and by the time they realized it was going out of the US it was already in transit. There was a pile of paperwork and things to do if I ever wanted to buy from them again, it seems mostly to do with any of their products being used as parts of either military or sensitive industrial products for a foreign nation.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Customs clearance.
Can be cumbersome yes.
Apart from EU tax
Therse VAT as well.

Well i orderd a lifetime of shims....

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
It falls under ITAR. Which stands for International Traffic in Arms Regulation. Anything that could potentially be used in a weapons system is strictly controlled. McMaster Carr gets around having to deal with the regulations by not exporting or exporting very little. If you intend to export or ship any item out of the U.S. you either have to demonstrate that it is not possible or intended to be used in a weapons system of any kind. Things like screws, shims, springs, etc are scrutinized closely. Where they are going, who they are going to, will they be exported from there to a third party. It is a right pain sometimes. Particularly if you do not have an export license. Software and cnc machinery is also heavily scrutinized as well.

oexing

VOC Member
I have stopped ordering anything from USA almost completely, even via Ebay who do all financial jobs around exports. Mostly shipping costs charged by the seller are outrageous very often. A lot cheaper to send to Australia from EU really. Military aspects in USA look ridiculous when dealing with exports , seeing that enormous weapon exports go to the Middle East from there.
Anyway, very nice shims can be ordered by getting axial needle bearings. They are all 1 mm thickness, just bin the axial races and keep the shims. Complete bearing sets seem to be cheaper than trying to get just the shims for them. For below 1mm shims you could get feeler gage material, these are spring steel so allright for axial loads - unlike with normal packing shims from soft steel. But it is quite some job to shape spring steel material to size.
Often I turn special spacers from rounds and harden them at home with a torch , no rocket science at all. Some links below to get ideas maybe :

Vic
Spring steel blade

Axial bearing

Axial bearing set

lots of sizes from Ali:
bearing sets

Cyborg

VOC Member
Why should any supplier bother to stock these items if punters are going to buy one and make the rest themselves?
Ray
Assuming you have followed this thread, do you still think folks shouldn’t make their own? I guess the same question goes for anyone who liked your post. Although this thread turned out to be very informative thanks to those that contributed in a positive way, I think it is unfortunate that folks who don’t have something positive to say, feel the need to chime in. It tends to drive technical discussions off line. Or perhaps discourage them completely.

greg brillus

VOC Member
A lot of small parts, bushes, studs etc, you can make and modify yourself if you have a lathe......more if you have the equipment and the skills to use them, but most other parts you have to buy and often custom finish to size anyway........It is pretty rare to assemble anything of a sizable nature on these bikes and not expect to have to do this. Anyone who has built up a new engine from all new parts would know this for sure.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes, I think this thread must have helped a lot of people, Including me !.
We need to know as much as possible about this Tricky place.
Who would have thought such a small part would give us so much Info'/ Trouble !.

In 1969 I tried to be Clever, It was before the factory made over size inner ends on the Cam Spindles,
I made my own Cam spindles from Stainless steel, With oversize ends, On a Wonky lathe !,
Thinking Stainless would work harden ?, I now know there are many types of stainless !!,
Huge mistake !, Didn't last very long, Funny the Soft oilite bushes wore them out !!.
We Live and Learn, But only by Talking about things !!.
Cheers Bill.