E: Engine ET162 dimensions

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Why should any supplier bother to stock these items if punters are going to buy one and make the rest themselves?
Ray

Hard to win this one because one camp would ask why I don’t just make them and then along comes you. They probably make some sort of ointment for whatever is ailing you. Not everyone has a lathe so they should probably stock them.... but I guess you could petition Coventry to sell them in sets.

davidd

VOC Member
If you are rebuilding a timing chest the originals will most likely not work. I have always made my own because the stock part will not fit a new chest. In the 2008 racer, I see that I made them 0.488" tall. Any shorter and it would have bent the steady plate down to the spacer.

I take the two studs out. Install the steady plate, tighten it down and measure the case to the steady plate. I make two spacers, slide them in place and tighten the steady plate down with two Allen screws.

DSCN2885.jpg

David

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
A known original with the part no. stamped on measures 17/64" x 1/2" x .447". The Workshop Instructions say, referring to spindle height, ".419"/ .424".This dimension is equivalent to the thickness of the spacer ET162. minus the thickness of the thrust washer ET98/1. Mind you, thrust washers are now variable as is the height of the large idler boss assembly, so you pays your money---------

greg brillus

VOC Member
The contents of the timing chest is dictated by the overall length of the cam.......If this is wrong, you need to change it to what it should be, or alter everything else to suit.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I don’t recall hearing that before. I think some work off the large idler spindle? Is there an optimum length for the cam Greg? Or is the correct length of the cam dictated by the crankcase? Do you trim the cams in the lathe? Doesn’t look like there is much material to spare.

I suppose I should probably just answer my own questions. Stuff everything in there, make sure the followers are centred on the cams, proper end float on everything and a steady plate that goes on straight and stays that way when snugged down. I know I need to adjust the cam spindles or trim something. I don’t have an E95 handy, but it doesn’t look like there is enough room for the washer, never mind correct end float.
It probably would help immensely if I had a memory or took notes from the last one.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I don’t recall hearing that before. I think some work off the large idler spindle? Is there an optimum length for the cam Greg? Or is the correct length of the cam dictated by the crankcase? Do you trim the cams in the lathe? Doesn’t look like there is much material to spare.

I suppose I should probably just answer my own questions. Stuff everything in there, make sure the followers are centred on the cams, proper end float on everything and a steady plate that goes on straight and stays that way when snugged down. I know I need to adjust the cam spindles or trim something. I don’t have an E95 handy, but it doesn’t look like there is enough room for the washer, never mind correct end float.
It probably would help immensely if I had a memory or took notes from the last one.
See Dec 2020 OVR

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks Martyn
Very behind in my reading. Been hiding in the garage trying to churn out obscure components.