ET109/ Crankcase bolts

Rapide998

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know the length of the various ET109 bolts holding the crankcases together, :confused: building a Shadow and have a box of bolts (more than required for the cases) so not sure which are which and would like to measure them to make sure I've the correct ones for their proper locations. I have a spares book showing thier locations and part numbers but can't identify then.
Reason being my father is in Hospital at the moment and the last thing I want to bother him about when visiting is where he put the Crankcase bolts and what length each one was when he took it apart 40 year ago, he would only get agitated and enoyed he was in a hospital bed and couldn't show me.

Last edited:

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Crankcase bolts

The length are in the literature somewhere but it wasn't straightforward to apply. I spent hours on my hands and knees trying various bolts into various holes. I too turned out to have more bolts than i needed to build the engine, and some bolts that had to be replaced. There are far more wrong solutions than right solutions. However I did make a cheat sheet from a crankcase bolts diagram with the actual sizes marked on. I would of course have to find it.........

captain vincent

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know the length of the various ET109 bolts holding the crankcases together, :confused: building a Shadow and have a box of bolts (more than required for the cases) so not sure which are which and would like to measure them to make sure I've the correct ones for their proper locations. I have a spares book showing thier locations and part numbers but can't identify then.
Reason being my father is in Hospital at the moment and the last thing I want to bother him about when visiting is where he put the Crankcase bolts and what length each one was when he took it apart 40 year ago, he would only get agitated and enoyed he was in a hospital bed and couldn't show me.

If you give me a ring I can give you the length,s as I have just put the B bottom end back together for me sin,s

nkt267

VOC Member
AT LAST.
One up for Comet owners page 95 of Know Thy Beast tells us all for the Comet..:p
Instruction sheet No11b lists the bolts and lenghts for Twins and references to MO41:-
A&B 7.125"(181mm)
C&D 7.375"(187.3mm)
E 5.250"(133.4mm)
F 3.375"(85.7mm)
G&H 7.625"(193.7mm)
J&K 8.375"(212.7mm)
L 6.0"(152.4mm)
M 5.4375"(138mm)
Copied as from my sheet dated 1966

Rapide998

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Tom.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated, perhaps put a face to the name next year at one of our gatherings.

El Capitano Vincento.
Will give yi a tinkle during the week mate. Cheers. hey the Chimneys' still up:eek:

Rapcom.
Many thanks for your reply, Again appreciated.

NKT267.
Wot can I say... Smashing stuff. I've got M041 from my Fathers 1952 spares parts list book in front of me so can now add the sizes in pencil to the drawing, just in case my son needs to know the same in 40 odd years time ha ha ha.:)
For a moment there I just imagined myself on the garage floor trying to work out which was what like Tom.

Last edited:

nkt267

VOC Member
You will find me and the 'ballast',(thank god she can't use a computer):cool:, in misc 2007,vincent people.Connie and John:D

REC141

Forum User
VOC Member
Drawing MO41 of the Spare Part List gives all the positions and the assembly details whilst the Works Instruction sheets page gives all the lengths.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Crankcase bolts

For what its worth, when making new ones, I always make them at least 1/8 inch longer than the old published measurements which always seem to be on the short side. There's nothing worse than seeing a nut on a stud, where the stud doesn't even show through. :mad:
Peter Barker
Bristol, UK

fgth130

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The lengths of the Twin c/case bolts are given in the Instruction Sheets, the Singles were'nt; which is why Eddie Stevens listed them in KTB