ESA problem ??

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm still fettling the Egli after a long layoff. I've got to the point where it's got lots of minor problems, but it's reliable and still fun to ride, so I'm making use of the few good days of Summer to notch up a few miles, and leave the tinkering till the weather goes cold(er).

Yesterday it stuck in third gear, not a problem, it doesn't do it often, it's just gear pedal adjustment (one of my minor Winter jobs), and a quick nudge of the gear indicator sorts it. The problem is I pulled away too slowly in third, and I was greeted with all sorts of complaints from the transmission, noises (indescribable) and lots of juddering.

I'm thinking ESA. Possibly weak springs, hopefully not unscrewed nut. The unscrewed nut is not likely, it was loctited, drilled and wired after it cost me a 2nd at Cadwell a few years ago.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of leaving it for now, it's not a problem as long as I don't cock up the gearchanges, but if anyone has a tale of woe on this subject I'd like to hear it now, rather than when I'm explaining how I wrote of my engine on the Forum.

H

Howard

VOC Member
With a good torch pointed through the inspection cap you should be able to observe the action of the ESA. Put the bike in gear and rock the back wheel backwards and forwards. If the cam lobes are riding each other too easily then you have weak or at worse broken springs. As you suggest the ESA nut might be loose as well.

Thanks. Only had the bike 36 years, didn't realise you could see the ESA from there, but then I didn't know I'd got B heads on a C engine until a month ago (Not very observant am I?)

I'll try that when I've finished wallpapering - I'm doing pennance with "Erindoors" for going out enjojing myself on the bike yesterday.

H

timetraveller

VOC Member
Nulli is correct, it can be seen. If it has come undone then consider spending the money on a 'D' type ESA. It is much more resistant to undoing than the earlier type and the extra springs mean that there is more chance of it actually 'shock absorbing' John Emmanuel set up a special jig to run the engine without the primary cover and using a stroboscope found that the standard set up just goes from high on one cam to high on the other depending upon whether in drive or overdrive mode. The full set of springs with the Australian set up is too stiff for a solo. Dick Sherwin fitted this system to his solo 'D' and upon checking found that it had hardly moved at all. Even with the 'D' it is a good idea to use lock wire.

Howard

VOC Member
OK. Now I'm a little bit worried. Moving the bike against compression in first gear showed no movement, ie no compression of the springs, so I'm thinking it's not the ESA. May still be, but it might take more torque to compress the springs.

Next in the transmission system then is the clutch, a multi plate A65 BSA conversion, but I can't think why that would give a juddering action. At least I can strip it down quickly.

I'll keep you informed as the situation unfolds.

H