Engine, UFM and RFM numbers

block

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
How were numbers stamped at the Stevenage Works? Were the numbers stamped on the UFM and RFM in batches and then mated to an engine, or were they done as a machine came to be assembled? What was the actual process to stamp the numbers? David Bowen in a post back in March 2009 mentions this process. Is that correct and could David or someone elaborate?
Any of you have further knowledge of this process?
Thanks, Joe B.

Last edited:

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
engine number stamped on when it was finished ready to go to cycle assembley by foreman Denis Minett then when he went to the lightning dept Bob Brown UFM and RFM stamped after cycle was finished and checked of by foreman Ted Hampshire or Eddie Cox

block

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello David, thanks for the quick reply! When the numbers were stamped, were they stamped digit by digit or was there some kind of press where the digits were combined?
Also, and I realize this may have been answered in the past, why the general use of 1900 separating the engine from the frame numbers? Any rhyme or reason for that to your knowledge?
Cheers, Joe B.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
numbers were stamped with a single letter or number stamps ex war dept bought at the local iron mongers lines ltd in the high st. Stevenage along with hand tools used by the factory workers such as glass hammers and the sparks for the magnetos this was pre and post war engine number systemwas done by PCV and Ted Hampshire who was PCV advisor bouncing block for 25 years

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The offset between engine and frame numbers is due to all of the pre-war, Vincent produced frames that held non-Vincent engines. The idea is that by the time Vincent produced their own engines, they had already produced a large number of frames.

block

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for all the information. Can I assume then the actual 1900 general offset between frame and engine numbers has no exact meaning, just a number chosen in time, as the number of Vincent frames with non-Vincent engines was not precisely 1899 (or 1900) units?
Or was it?

Joe B.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The offset changed over time. It started out close to 2000. I believe the offset came down in numerical value as post war 'engine only' engine production started to add up to sizable numbers. I have no idea how accurately the offset accounted for actual production numbers, but it seems to me there was some reasoning behind it.