ET: Engine (Twin) Engine Intermittent Cutting Out of One Cylinder

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If you want to save a bit of drama (possibly) you can cut a rough open-ended spanner out of 1/8" steel plate and just ease off the inspection cap about half a turn which will give you about .025" clearance to check for this fault. I think this should work on a Twin, I've done it on a Comet inlet valve spring cap.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
As a general tip, it is good to verify that the spring caps all miss the underside of the inspection caps when you have the chance.

clevtrev

VOC Member
As a general tip, it is good to verify that the spring caps all miss the underside of the inspection caps when you have the chance.
Simple way to do that, is a blob of plasticene on the spring cap, do up tight, remove and see what you have.

Rob H

VOC Member
Update 2. Oil tank off, measured under the cap with plasticene does not seem to be a problem between 1 and 2mm gap. Also did another pressure test with the cap off, same problem leaking air badly.Tapped the valve with rubber hammer to lift of the seat but still same no improvement. Next step head off and valve out.

Rob H

VOC Member
Head off and valve out, not looking good, valve is loose in the bottom guide and also is not concentric / perpendicular to the valve seat which can be seen worn off centre. Guessing at least will need new oversize guide and seat if it can be done. Not surprised it is leaking. :(
IMG_2065.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My Wife's Son had a Rubbish French car, And the cam belt broke, I said I would put a new belt on, But no more, He said it was down on power, I said good !.
He had a bent valve, Every morning I could hear it getting better, When he came to sell it some time later, The buyer said how good the engine sounded !!. Cheers Bill.