H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Embarrassing Brake Squeal. 8" VOC Brakes.

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I love the wording of that,
Years ago I worked in a Garage, And with the new brake shoes, Was a little tube of grease,
With the wording, " For use on the working parts ",
So this Greek lad thought the Linings were the working parts, And smeared grease all over the linings !,
The Foreman came back from Road test and said !, ----------- I had better leave that bit out !!.
Kinda makes you wonder about the his job interview and references? Hopefully the Forman threw the guy in the tip when he was done with him.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Cartoons 028.jpg

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Hi, thanks to all for your replies. I'll wait a little longer before I respond, I would have thought that there must be other users of the 8" brake that have experienced the same problem unless they can state otherwise. Perhaps they could also advise when they purchased their brake package from the Spares Company.
I was on the VOC, Coventry Section Stand at Founders Day over the weekend and a member from the East Midland's Section with the same front brake set up had exactly the same brake squeal. Having just started his machine, he was only check braking when mounted whilst manoeuvring from the club stand setting but unfortunately I only noticed this as they were leaving, so no time to chat.
I have been using the club 8” brakes for the last 8 or 9 years (21k miles) and have not experienced this problem except when the bike has been stood for a few days and the humidity was very high. After a few applications of the brakes the squeal goes away. For the most part the bike (52 shadow) is used 2-3 times a week so it’s not really a problem. However these brakes are fully bedded in and I do use them to their full capability a lot of the time. I wonder if your bike just needs some miles and some hard usage to get them to bed in and behave?

davidd

VOC Member
Dave Tompkins had 8" brakes that squealed. I slipped some fuel line over the springs and it may have helped. Mike Hawthorne had 8" brakes that squealed, but he ignored it. Ignoring it is fine as long as the vibration does not beak the springs. I lock wired Dave's spring to corral the parts if they broke.

Brake linings are hygroscopic and the moisture will cause squealing until the lining heats up. The lining in Vincents do not heat up unless you are very hard on them. On Dave's bike, It became a moot point as I replaced the brake shoes as well as the linings. I decided later that I would also switch to grooved linings going forward. Dick Hunt recommended grooved linings to prevent tram-lining and to remove debris.

Chamferring the leading edges can also help. When linings are new they are very unstable and they wobble around wildly. Chamferring the leading edge stiffens the lining by taking off material that would otherwise vibrate and squeal. As the lining wears you do not have to keep chamfering the leading edge because the lining becomes thinner due to the wear and becomes stiff enough to resist vibrating.

I think all the responses have been good including Mark's discussion about bedding in.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
As anyone who raced in the golden years knows AM4 alloy brakes squealed and squealed we ran copper wire through the springs to stop the spring bits falling in.
However the brake plates on our TLS 7" brake on standard shoes are CAD machined out of a 7075 alloy billet with strengthening ribs and the linings due to the geometries of the TLS in standard drums are turned to fit the drums to about half the thickness of standard linings made of AM4 substitute from Saftek and there are two separate springs operating their own shoes. We are two race meetings in and no squeals yet.

54rapide

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, again thanks for your replies. I am grateful for Mark Fishers comments on is usage of the 8" brakes. I will wire the release springs for safety and continue to use the brakes perhaps a little more aggressively and let you know the result. I just need to convince my wife that I need to use the bike more.
Thanks to all.

vibrac

VOC Member
A extra note I have yet to wait more than a week for Saftek to return shoes with new linings